Tuesday, July 4, 2017

you can call me al, paul simon

I went to a karaoke venue tonight. I did three songs, and the last of them was 'you can call me al' by paul simon. I recall this being a hit song when I was young, and the video includes 'Saturday night live' star chevy chase with paul simon. I have referred to this song before when referring to one of my fellow comics, the one called 'brawler'. the line 'if you be my bodyguard, I can be your long-lost pal'. since there was a reason why he got the name 'brawler', he earned it. the other two I did were 'i'm alright' by Kenny loggins, and 'angel of harlem' by U2. the first one, the Kenny loggins song, had the most meaning to me. I recalled how bill young had it as the closing song in one of his fringe shows. and when I was done I took of my hat and said 'in memory of bill'. it is an 'it's my life' song, so it had multiple meanings for me, as my upbringing is why I like 'it's my life' songs. the middle one, the U2 selection, I did think of how I saw a play about musician billie holiday at a nearby venue many years ago, and the song is about billie. I knew this from reading the liner notes.
   at the office today there was domino's pizza for lunch, but there was no official announcement. it was verbal, as the AA didn't want to send an email. the pizza was a 'thank you' for coming in to the office on the day before the 4th of july holiday. I had four slices, I like the pepperoni, and sausage, pizzas. it was a good day to get caught up at the office. of course the payoff report was high volume, but not much else to do once it was submitted.

No comments:

Post a Comment