Monday, February 25, 2019

signing a hat

i performed at the comedy club tonight, and after the show I met two couples that wanted to talk to me, saying they liked my set. one spoke of wanting to get a show going in another town. and somebody wanted me to sign their hat. this was a big deal to me, first time it had happened. I had to look at who else had signed before me, and said I am not a headliner. but not all were. so it was kind of cool, getting this recognition. I hesitated to sign as I saw who was already on there, mostly headliners. but I am starting to see plenty of evidence that I belong in the same company as them. whenever the opportunity presents itself again, I am unlikely to hesitate. but I was trying to think of other times when this has happened in my performing career, and I was hard-pressed to find one. I can only think of when I was co-MC with the big dog many years ago, and I signed a cartoon rendering of me on a poster that included all of the other performers of the show. and I know this was around the time of the death of twins baseball player harmon Killebrew, which is relevant. since he spoke of teaching younger players how to sign legible autographs. so I decided to take some cues from it, since my signature on a bar receipt usually is not legible and just looks like scribbles because I go really fast with it. I talked with them more than the other couple, as I found it to be a mixed bag. the one wanting to be an event coordinator was fine, that is who I gave my business card to. but the other I found to be annoying, was trying too hard to be funny. and I get bored with those who think they know me well enough to try to talk for me, when we just met. this is not a 'one size fits all' world and I am not the typical comic. it is still a question of when or if I am ever contacted about stage time, of course. as sometimes it goes nowhere.
    we did more practice at work today, starting week two. but it went much slower than I would have expected. but I am also aware of how they are still rolling  out things we need to become familiar with and the most important thing is to get the practice in now while still in training. just learn whatever you can and the rest will take care of itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment