Sunday, February 10, 2019

uninvited movie, 1944

I watched a DVD on loan from the library this morning, 'the uninvited', a black and white movie from 1944. it was about two ghosts haunting a house in great Britain. I was not familiar with any of the actors in it. but I liked how it kept me guessing for a while. for some reason it reminded me of a movie I saw that was more recently made, called 'the haunting'. it was a little annoying when there was a problem with the disc, where it stopped or 'froze' for a short time. I don't think I have seen many ghost movies before, but I watched some of the special features which said it was different in terms of earlier ghost movies were comedies and this one is more serious.
    I wanted to watch one of the DVDs this morning as I had plans to get to the library to write an entry in a contest for my school, the university of iowa. it was called 'write now', where one is given a premise and one has 48 hours to submit after that. I got it typed up and submitted with 20 minutes to spare. I liked having some fun with it, as I chose the 'fantasy' premise. I like how this kind of writing is challenging me as I hadn't tried writing much dialogue before, usually I go with narrative. I am thankful I went with my typical 'protocol' of avoiding freeways during the winter weather, as the news had plenty about the pile-ups out there. it might take longer when going on secondary roads, but I care more about arriving unharmed. I prefer being on secondary roads during a snowstorm as it is easier to stop when necessary as one is going slower, especially when there are lights and signs to stop at unlike on freeways.
   I didn't do much after getting home from the library, it was early evening by then. I had a meal, and watched 'the simpsons'- it was about homer learning to dance for marge. then it was doing dishes and deciding to lay down for a while. I expected to have missed most of the late news, but it appears that the news was late due to the grammy awards. I am aware of how there is that disclaimer how 'award shows can run overtime'.

No comments:

Post a Comment