Monday, May 27, 2019

basketball diaries movie

around midday I watched a DVD I recently purchased from amazon, 'basketball diaries'. I wanted to find this movie after finding the jim carroll song 'people who died'. I am thankful I saw this movie, as I like honesty in storytelling. I kept wondering 'when is he going to get his life in order?' after he goes down the path of drug use. then, I arrived at 'oh, right. when he gets arrested and goes to jail for a little while'. also compelling was the 'mickey' character, played by marky mark. the actor playing him is likely why it was more compelling. I liked the music in it, as pearl jam and soundgarden have songs in it. I am not a big fan of Leonardo DiCaprio, and I think this is one reason why I didn't see it for a while as he played the lead role. he may not have been well known at the time either. if I were to compare it to any other auto-bios I have seen, it is closest to 'girl, interrupted'. I like the special features that DVDs have, and it included a spot from the everclear front-man who spoke about drug abuse. according to the closing credits, it appears that jim carroll had a small role in it.
    after the movie, I went to cub foods to pick up a few items. I decided to get the special edition of sports illustrated about the history of baseball, as there was just two copies left. as the saying goes, 'get while the getting is good'. I really liked reading it, I think they covered just about everything in the sport in its history. at first I wondered if they had a photo of yogi berra in it, but they do- the one at the perfect game in the world series as he is the catcher. other things about the game are covered as well- integration, spring training, college ball, the minor leagues, and the movies.
   I also went to the saints baseball game in the early evening, a group outing. the saints beat Sioux city 5-1. a 3-run home run which started the scoring, it was just inside the left field foul pole. after the game ended and before the fireworks started, I first went to eat from a food truck, after the floodgates were opened of course. I chose tot boss, as I have ordered from them and know what I am getting. then I went back to my seat as I wanted to sit down while eating. then I found out I had enough time to tour the team's museum. I didn't want to tour it while the game was being played. I liked it, although a few things were missing or not correct. but I know they try really hard to be accurate at museums, and I am not sure how many others noticed. as a big charlie brown fan, I was pleased to see a charlie brown comic strip on display that mentions the saints. as usual, I learned something while at a museum. there was mention of a saints player named bill sharman, who later became a teammate of bob Cousy's with the boston Celtics. but I am familiar with how athletes are often multi-talented. this included mention of George halas, who briefly played for the saints and went on to become the founder of the Chicago bears.

No comments:

Post a Comment