Friday, May 31, 2019

holmes and watson movie

i watched a redbox rental tonight, 'holmes and watson'. I have a poster of this movie as it was being promoted at the comedy club. but I read the reviews and I figured it was a better idea to wait for it on video. the movie isn't that good, way too many sex jokes in it, including 'wanker', the british term for masturbation. as a history major I also saw it as historically inaccurate, although there is a disclaimer in the closing credits saying it is 'a work of fiction'. this explains why cast members listed including actors playing mark twain, albert Einstein, Sigmund freud, and charlie chaplin, as well as Houdini. in one scene I even said 'the queen lives until 1901' and then there's the queen almost getting on the titanic, although that ship doesn't sail until 1912. I had seen other movies before with these lead actors, will Ferrell and john c. reilly, so I kind of knew what I was getting myself into. there are some obvious references to mr. trump as well, although not mentioned by name. things like 'a trumped-up charlatan' come to mind, along with a variation on his MAGA hat. I haven't seen that many of the sherlock holmes stories, but I know that moriarty figures into the story as his nemesis- and one does see moriarty in this one. so it stayed true to many things that one expects from a sherlock story, at least in terms of the characters that one would expect to be in it as well as things like sherlock liking drugs. I got it back to redbox right away, so I basically had it long enough to watch it. this was because I wanted to go out and sing karaoke, and I sang 'all apologies' by nirvana. I spoke about performing with two people there, so I guess I am getting noticed by some there. but it helps to be a regular. I like it that people pay attention. at work I scored more than 200 essays again, felt good about the volume. it was actually 227, reminded me of a sitcom from the 1980s. I am trying to get an interview scheduled for a different role next week, as I know that test scoring season is likely done soon. this project will wrap up next week, but by the end of the day I saw a posting offering me another project that will go until late june.

No comments:

Post a Comment