Thursday, February 20, 2020

french coin

I went to have change counted and turned in at the bank, but the first one was broken so I had to go to an alternate one. I checked the rejected coin chute and noticed five coins in it. one of them was an American quarter, odd that it would get rejected. three were 'euros', and one was a French franc from the 1970s. I recall living in suburban Chicago and refusing one as change in a grocery store, not sure why. so I am thankful I have one, as far as I know it is the first for me. I think the only other one I have is actually Indochina, which is now Vietnam. since France no longer uses the franc, I know these are harder to find than when I refused one. also not the first time I found euros, but unsure when I will get to use them as I have yet to visit a nation that uses them. I have been to Great Britain, but of course they still have their own currency. I am pleased with how many foreign coins I have found just by being out and about, not having to buy them. I guess it helps to live near a major airport, where there are some international flights. the ones I found went into a candy tin with the others. some are in collector albums, but the ones I have are full and I haven't bought another one yet. I already have three albums. most memorable would be the first one I found, more than likely, in a barber shop when I was young. it was a Canadian penny.
    after the bank I went to a job fair, hard to say if it yielded any good leads. one of them said it cost a lot of money to get the commercial driver license needed. another said a teaching license didn't cost near as much. I did see an advisor there, who called a referral in for me. this led to a weird interaction. a man saw me writing down my contact information on a post-it, and said he was left-handed. then it took a while to find out he was looking for work as well, before that he wanted to talk about a wide variety of subjects, including his kids and his own time playing sports. I didn't talk much, mostly listened to him. a man at the desk asked us to move to another area, and we did. then he must have thought we were still being too loud, and when this happened I said 'gotta go' and left right away. this is still my achilles heel, wanting to just react to what others are doing instead of 'owning' the situation. I learn more when I listen more. I guess I just want to be polite, but some people are time wasters like this man seemed to be. why did I listen to him for so long? because he was from iowa like me? I need more than that. he didn't even look like he was looking for work, no formal outfit on, was wearing a ford ball-cap. usually what happens is when I see the same person again, I am tight-lipped and I take pride in how they get away with it only once. I learn my lessons quick.
   after having lunch back at home, I made some calls based on the business cards I hadn't looked at in a while. it led to me sending updated resumes to two of them. then it was on to the library to do more things there. tried to do a video interview but it didn't work there either. and still trying to get around an I.T. issue with redeeming survey points for airline miles. while at the library I fielded two calls, three if you count the one that went to voicemail that came in at the same time I was on another call. one of the two aforementioned resume sends were due to these library calls. they were responding to a voicemail I left when I was still at home. for one call I went to a quieter area near the entrance, and I have an appointment with an agency on Thursday. it was in response to an application on indeed.
    in the evening I performed near the end of the show, the fancy comic was the closing act. we had a fill-in show runner who asked that the fireplace be turned off, said he was too warm with it on. although where I was sitting I was right under a ceiling fan, which wasn't making it any warmer.
   on facebook there was a posting on my class's page saying that a classmate had died of cancer. but then later on it was said this posting referring to it and forwarded there wasn't accurate. I had been following his caring bridge site and the most recent posting there said he was stopping treatment and coming home. some took this as 'going into hospice' although that word wasn't used at all. and when I pointed this out I was accused of being wrong, even though I wasn't, so I deleted my comment. I just didn't think it was right to try to get into a shouting match with someone in this forum, and definitely not over this subject. this is why I sometimes clash with others, as I go by fact and not emotion or rumor. I had hoped that this particular facebook group would be different, but it doesn't appear to be. and to be honest, there is a reason why I have very little or nothing to do with most of my classmates. I prefer to move on as most as possible from that part of my life. especially when that time of my life was 'awful' and I have evolved a lot since then, made plenty of friends since then. even though I have been to all of my reunions so far, if I want to see somebody bad enough I don't wait for a reunion. I go see them in person. and with the classmate that has cancer, he is not on facebook due to his line of work. but we had other ways to stay connected. since he lives in des moines, I would try to schedule a meeting when I was in town for something like an iowa cubs baseball game. I last saw him on labor day weekend. he knew I was in the area for my uncle's funeral in November, but I think our schedules didn't quite match up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment