Saturday, February 8, 2020

marriage story movie

this afternoon I went to see the movie 'marriage story' at the lagoon in Minneapolis. this is a limited release movie, only one screening today as part of the theater wanting to show all of the Oscar nominated movies. surprised me a little that it wasn't until this weekend that I saw any of this year's best picture nominees- 2 out of the 9. I had seen 'judy' and it did get 2 Oscar nominations but neither one was best picture. 'marriage' was hard to watch because it is about divorce. this may have been why I noticed one couple leaving the theater. it was during a scene when there was arguing. well I kind of expected some arguing! there were multiple things that made it compelling enough to go see it. one of these was the all-star cast, including laura dern, ray liotta, and alan alda as the lawyers. another was movie-music veteran randy newman doing the music. although I will admit that I barely noticed the music in it. this was probably the first movie I saw that was produced by Netflix.
   much like the previous day, I had a quick meal before the movie, but this time it was a sandwich, still at a speedway gas station. the news had something about a pedestrian being hit by a car on a busy road in the capital city. facebook had a posting from a classmate about the death of my high school's football coach.
    tonight I think I will try a new karaoke venue. it worked well at a new venue, I sang 'bad day' by REM. I like how there is some kind of 'barrier' between me and the crowd while singing. all too often, I am singing in a 'dive bar' when there isn't a barrier. I spoke with somebody before I went to sing and at first he appeared a little un-nerved by what I might have been looking at. I was asked how I was doing, I said I am doing the best I can. I was looking off in the distance at the TV monitor showing a boxing match. so we spoke about boxing for a little while, as I said I had seen some live matches in the area. for some reason, I forgot to mention seeing boxing at the pan-am games in Toronto as well. although that is not professional boxing. so I ended up with a cheering section, I could hear them even though they were way in the back. so I likely have found a place I will stick with for a while. and I have to think it was 'prophetic' for lack of a better term. I saw a signup slip that mentioned a song from the blues brothers movie, and it reminded me of asking a trusted advisor about how I should handle an altercation recently. I liked the response, as I am fine with going to a place where I feel welcome, even if it is farther away. I just hate having to change my schedule, but sometimes it is necessary. it can be liberating to say 'I have had enough' and there is nothing wrong with saying it when one arrives at this understanding.


No comments:

Post a Comment