Saturday, November 6, 2010

2 Dark Rooms

Went to a comedy show tonight, and a movie. So I spent time in two dark rooms. Odd how I referred to Rogers Hornsby, the baseball player, on one of the reasons I said I was fine with just attending the first comedy show. Hornsby was known for saying he didn't attend movies as he was afraid being in a dark room for an extended period would damage his vision and make it harder for him to see the ball while at bat. Also odd, since I made a spur of the moment decision.  I looked at my watch and said I had enough time to drive to a movie theater to see the final showing of the night of  'Inside Job', about the economic crisis of 2008 and narrated by Matt Damon. I had wanted to see it earlier in the day, but got to the parking ramp and it was full. First time I could recall this happening to me at this theater. So I had a Blizzard treat at the nearby Dairy Queen and picked up some toilet paper at the Walgreen and left. I then drove to a Blockbuster where I found a documentary I missed at the theater, along with a Misfits wrist band. It was a band I had heard about from a comedian friend who likes doing music education on Facebook. I will admit the band's name is a drawing card, since I have thought of myself as a misfit before, but then again, who hasn't?
   To be accurate, I did more than just attend the comedy show. I was asked to help bring pieces of cake to people as there was a birthday celebration, and I lit candles inside the globes on each table. Then at the end of the show after the headliner I was asked to say a few words, something I had asked about in advance. Surprised to get the opportunity! Guess I can do well unrehearsed, it helped that the headliner was still there and we were more like a duo, where I was the ham and he was the straight man. It was a benefit event for a fictional disease, which was part of the joke, like doing Robert Frost on Facebook and looking like a college professor on public TV. Must be why somebody honked at me while I was in my car after the show, must have recognized me from being onstage. I get that more often now and I am getting used to it since I like the recognition.

No comments:

Post a Comment