Sunday, November 28, 2010

P-Diddy Reference

Tonight I was onstage and the comedian after me wondered aloud if I was just messing with people and was really P-Diddy in disguise, ready to speed off in a limo. I said 'not even close' but I liked getting zinged, who wouldn't? I had plenty of material ready from seeing my family over Thanksgiving. And from having 2 dates today, really had to rush to be on time at the comedy club since the second date was pushed back due to a change in venue. Hard to say what will become of the two, but I said my schedule is more available now since the holiday is over. I got the message earlier today about being offered stagetime and said 'yes I am in town, and I like the picture of your dog'- a bulldog- on Facebook.
   It was a fairly full day, along with doing laundry, which I did between dates and resting in my easy-chair. It feels good as usual being onstage doing what I enjoy and what I'm good at, and getting commendation for it. I've heard of 'hiding under a cloak of degradation' before, guess that described me for a while. When I saw a comedian friend tonight- same one that followed me- I said I thought of him when hearing a ska song this weekend as he likes doing music education. It was the John Holt song 'Tide is High'. I told the story how hearing it on a loudspeaker at a Walgreen- the Blondie version- was what helped me find the courage to ask a girl out. She didn't call me after I gave her my card, but I knew I had to follow through as I would have otherwise hated the song. I know this well how songs can bring back a bad memory or two, so I am careful about when I listen to music. Sometimes it means not turning on my car radio for a while.
   It is another reminder of what I am good at, recognizing music, since I've spent plenty of time listening to it on my car radio. I recall a fortune teller reading me well at the Renaissance Festival before, saying I have a talent for music. I said 'I know what I like'. I don't know if I have a talent for PLAYING music, which is what I figured she meant, though I've played some harmonica before. I see myself as a good drummer, maybe since it helps with working out frustration and I've often been just like a drummer in the roles I've held in life. Since I've often been the forgotten guy in the back, that still performs an important task- I was a dishwasher and janitor while in school. It is a good callback to that 'cloak of degradation' - since I'm probably selling myself short if I still think of myself as just a 'drummer' in life. If I'm onstage doing comedy I'm a frontman as well!
   I just read how actor Leslie Nielsen has died, I liked how they mentioned serious roles he did before 'Airplane' and 'Naked Gun', like 'Swamp Fox' or a 'Tammy' movie. I recall an official with the Swamp Fox festival in Marion, Iowa, telling me the story about trying, unsuccessfully, to get him to be the grand marshal for the parade.

No comments:

Post a Comment