Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veterans Day

There were multiple events marking Veterans Day at work. One of them was a patriotic costume contest, though just 3 people entered it. I said to one of them how I wondered if the World Series was beginning as they were wearing bunting. Another thing was writing to service personnel. I did this in the afternoon after the payoff reports were finished. I marked the day by wearing a Desert Storm shirt, and my Navy p-coat that a college roommate gave me. I don't wear the coat much now since the lining inside the sleeves is torn. It's an old coat that belonged to his dad, Korean War-era.
   Having one colleague in my department has led to me getting more intelligent conversations, which I like. I learn plenty from him, we discussed an Oasis song and it reminded me before how he said 'what's the story morning glory' was slang. But I had forgot to look it up then. I looked it up tonight online and found out it refers to sex and drugs, at least as British slang and it's a British music act.
   The other would be how I had a gift card for a bookstore and hadn't used it yet. I've had it since February. It's for Common Good Books, owned by Garrison Keillor, and I had a hard time fitting it into my schedule especially when it's in a neighborhood of St. Paul I'm not too familiar with. Looked up the store hours online and found out they're open until 10 pm on most days, which made it easier to go there after work. Made it there tonight and got a book about the TV show 'the Simpsons' and ordered another called 'Idiot America'. It should arrive in a week. I had read about the latter one in a catalog I had been sent this week. So it is nice to get something crossed off my list.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment