Saturday, November 20, 2010

Abraham Lincoln Books

Tonight I decided to go through my books and see what all I had, as expected I found plenty about Abraham Lincoln. There was 15 in all, looks like 2 were the same one, different printing, from the Carl Sandburg series. I already knew about having 2 copies of 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' so I guess I will donate both duplicate books soon to a secondhand store. I had bought plenty at stores like Goodwill in recent years, they're cheap there and some are hard-to-find.
   I have the books better organized by category than before. Some of these categories are: Charlie Brown, traveling, writing, baseball, French, self-help/psychology, biography, and history. None of these categories surprised me much, since these are all interests of mine. Anybody who knows me knows I have had my struggles over the years, and have tried to find answers in self-help/psychology books. I think this is because it was hard to know who to trust, and the therapist I had didn't have many answers for me. I liked how she recommended that I try writing, but in other areas she was little or no help to me.
   I know what prompted me to go through these books, it was watching a college football game- Notre Dame vs. Army from Yankee Stadium in New York. I had bought a book from the History Book Club in 2008 about the events at this venue, and wanted to see again what was in there about the series. There was one page about the 'win one for the Gipper' speech. During this game they did go through the history some, and I liked seeing the archival footage.
  It was a busy day all around for me, I had an oil change done on my car nearby. When they finished I was still reading an article in Sports Illustrated about Joakim Noah, a pro basketball player, so I stayed a few extra minutes to finish it. I had seen him play for Florida in the college basketball tournament a few times, I recall how he had that competitive fire but sometimes couldn't rein it in when needed to prevent this attitude from being costly.
    Then it was on to Kohl's at the mall to use a gift card, and to get an outfit for a first date today. Got a green shirt and pants, to replace ones that were getting ratty or stained. This is my first pair of corduroy pants in a while. This first date went well, meaning there will likely be a second one. We went to a Chinese restaurant I hadn't been to before a few miles away, then to a hobby shop across the street. I said I wanted to get to a gamewatch with my fellow Iowa alums, so that is when the date ended. Iowa led at halftime but couldn't hold on to beat Ohio State. I had 2 beers and some cheesecake, since it was between meals. I was reminded of why I don't go often- besides the cost of food and drink. There can be some obnoxious fans there, one of them kept standing up and blocking my view of the screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment