Friday, November 19, 2010

Lily Tomlin Movie

I watched a DVD I found at the library, it was a vaudeville/variety show starring Lily Tomlin called 'Search for signs of intelligent life in the universe'. There were a few lulls in it, but there were some great observations made in it by each character, like how 'all we know is what little we know about what it all means'. Or 'creative without talent is like a perfectionist being unable to do anything right'. I had hoped it would be a comedy show, since she is known for comedy, but this still came across as intelligent which I liked.
   I had the day off from work so I could attend a mentoring event at a local college. Learned something as usual, like the Piper mascot being a reference to the 'pied piper', another German story like the Brothers Grimm tales. My student was absent, said he might be out of state visiting family. But I liked getting to know who was assigned me for the day, said he was interested in studying journalism and writing at Columbia U. in New York. I spoke of my interests in writing, like the blog.
  The event was done by the early afternoon, I had hoped to get more errand running done than I did after it but was tired and wanted to get home. I did scout out the location of my date on Saturday, wanted to do a dry run so I was familiar with the neighborhood. It meant parking my car and walking around, since it's at a slower pace and one can see everything much easier this way. When I got home I slept a little and woke up in time to watch 'Jeopardy', I may not know every answer but more than half which is good.
   Besides watching the DVD there were other things I got done this evening. One of them was ordering a book from the club, I had two books from the 'Don't Know Much About' series already and will add  a third, about literature. Used some bonus points and free shipping offers, so it will total less than $10. First order since March, third of the year. I did thin out the envelope some more to keep the articles about books I wanted to read the most, ones about the Civil War, Great Depression, and the West. Emerson Hough would be proud that I kept some about the West, some were people he wrote about.
   I used the 3rd of the Taco Bell coupons tonight, this one I didn't get a receipt as the clerk said he needed to keep it as it was a free meal. If I steadily use these then it will be no problem finishing all 20 by next June, like 2 on the weekends whenever possible. Hopefully I won't grow tired of Taco Bell by then, I know some of my comedian friends like to do jokes about it.
   Another notable thing I did was check Facebook and see a comment I knew I should respond to, since I am well-read on history. It was about a college football game that will be played at Wrigley Field in Chicago, Northwestern vs. Illinois, and using just one endzone for safety reasons due to the brick walls there. I said there had been plenty of football played there before, as the NFL's Bears have this name due to playing at Wrigley, with the Cubs, for decades but moved to Soldier Field in 1971. Bears even played one game at Northwestern in 1970, so it's coming full circle. Found out the article was much shorter than the version in the paper, though it was an update of sorts that wasn't in the paper. Upon a closer look at what was online, I found it was a blog instead of an actual article. With the version in the paper I liked how it covered the football history at Wrigley, calling it the 'long-ago home of the Bears' and the first college game there since 1938, DePaul vs. St. Louis. Those 2 schools no longer have football programs.  It is a notable weekend for college football venues, as Indiana-Penn State will be played at the home of the NFL's Washington Resdkins and Notre Dame-Army at the newer Yankee Stadium. I know the latter  matchup had been played at the older Bronx stadium, it was mentioned in a book I picked up covering the history of the venue in its final season.

No comments:

Post a Comment