Monday, November 8, 2010

Helped a Rookie Comic

I decided to help a rookie comic who was asking me questions tonight, it's my version of 'don't ask, don't tell'. If they don't ask, I don't tell- them about things like the 'red time light'. I'm flattered when people look to me for answers about the craft. They didn't stay for the entire show, but I thought they did fine while onstage, though a joke about exorcisms when I'm not Catholic was largely lost on me. Much like when I saw the movie 'Dogma', my college buddies who had went to Catholic school understood the jokes better.
    I was a fill-in, or role player, at work today. It meant doing my least-favorite duty, special requests. But I did fine, I just don't like having to do so much copying of documents. I just told myself it was for only one day, then back to my 'normal duties' for the week.
    One new match from online dating did raise some eyebrows. She said she was mainly interested in a ride to a concert in Chicago early next month. At first I thought, 'why doesn't she just rent a car?' Then I realized I don't think quite like others- she wants a companion, idiot!  Most people like to share events with others. I know I once rented a car to get to a concert- Pearl Jam at Alpine Valley, Wisconsin, my first year in Illinois. I checked the performer's website, it is actually the suburban arena, just a few miles from where I lived so it's my old neighborhood.  I did attend a few concerts there when living nearby like Billy Joel/Elton John, Everclear/Matchbox 20, and No Doubt. So I would welcome a visit there, but reminded myself to have expectations in line with reality. I never meet most of my online matches, the percentage is right now still about 1 in 250. But it will be a good story to tell if it does happen, reminding me of some of those road movies I enjoy since I like traveling a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment