Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Another Recount

Some people recall the recount for the Senate seat two years ago, well it's happening again, this time in the governor's election. I turned in last night and no winner had been delcared, and nothing in the papers either. Online there was mention of how the margin was narrow enough to trigger an automatic recount under state law, since it was just under one half of one percent. Though the margin is larger than in the Senate race. Both had third-party candidates polling more than 10 percent of votes cast, making it more likely there would be a recount. When a colleague heard it he asked if it was a political rant, I said no. It's news, and it's civics! When in school we are asked to name office holders like the president and governor. One should know how government works.
   More relevant to my family and friends circle, I found out the family friend was elected to office in Iowa, state representative. Though the margin was closer than I expected, 51-49, since he was running against a newcomer.
    In the same online publication I am seeing more follow-up stories to the '60 Minutes' feature. The Domino's Pizza owner is getting donations from people nationwide and decided to give away pizzas to people on the street. While I do like hearing feel-good articles like this one, it's jobs that will get the town  moving again. When people talk about the positives of small-town Iowa, they mention just about everything EXCEPT jobs. The thing I am hearing from people is that not enough of the positive things were covered. Well if one doesn't have a job, will they be able to think about what positive things exist in their life as easily? No! Even one of the people interviewed at the American Legion said all they cared about is jobs. I concur. When I was unemployed for a few months after graduating from college, I hated how I couldn't afford to do anything or go anywhere. People like to feel useful and productive, and jobs help people feel this way.
    What I'm afraid of, although I hope it doesn't happen, is that the media attention will end up being just a band-aid solution. I know this is what was the case in Haiti after the January earthquake. People cared as long as it was in the news about helping the people, then many have short memories and move on to something else. This time, at least, I liked how it was a domestic story, as I am an 'America First' type. I believe in helping out our own people before we help out anyone else. I mostly care about what affects my countrymen, my fellow Americans. It's way more relevant to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment