Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Droid Troubles

I liked the line 'trouble with your droids?' from one of the Star Wars movies- Empire Strikes Back. I've said it before when machines broke down at work. It happened at the end of the workday, few people around to do much about it. So I moved to another copier and emailed people to keep them in the loop about it, toner bottle was full and I don't know how to handle that.
    Checked my cellphone messages after work on the bus, and there was one about a book I ordered from Garrison Keillor's store last week, already in. Hadn't finished reading the one I bought last week, about 'The Simpsons' show. This one is called 'Idiot America', I think I will like it as well. I'm trying to get into the habit of checking my phone after work, at times I don't check daily and it's because I get a low number of messages.
   Read with interest about the recipients of the presidential Medal of Freedom, there was an email about former St. Louis Cardinals player Stan Musial being honored. It is described as a lifetime achievement award, unfortunately like many other awards sometimes it's given posthumously. This was true for Jackie Robinson, awarded more than a decade after he died. Musial will be turning 90 soon, and I found out from the Wikipedia article he has had presidential honors before. He retired at the end of the 1963 season, and served as President Lyndon Johnson's physical fitness advisor for a few years. Then he was the Cardinal general manager for one season, 1967, when the club won the World Series.
  I was pleased that a colleague asked me if I was a history major, he must have heard me mention it to others. He sent me a link to Gutenberg for online books, and spoke of a biography of President Abraham Lincoln written in the 1880s. I know his law partner William Herndon was a biographer, but this one has a different author.

No comments:

Post a Comment