Saturday, December 8, 2012

Bagpipes from Baghdad

   Early in the day, I decided to listen to each of the CDs I had bought on Friday. One of them was 'Relapse' by Eminem. It includes the song 'Bagpipes from Baghdad'. I had found this one on Youtube before when looking for bagpipe music. I noticed it was mainly used as a backdrop, but musicians often do sampling for the desired effect. The other two were 'Achtung Baby' by U2 and 'Human Wheels' by John Mellencamp, both of these I had before on cassette.
   It seemed relevant to hear this Eminem song when I did as I had another odd dream. This one was about being trampled by a bagpipe band. I recall saying I think I will still like that kind of music in spite of it. I think it was in reference to going through pictures and seeing plenty from Canadian Days in Little Canada. Each year at this festival, I like to hear the bagpipe band from their sister city in Canada, which is Thunder Bay.
   The mail arrived early this morning, and an item I ordered from E-bay just arrived. I don't get a knock on my door that often, but I had been up for a few minutes and was getting breakfast ready so I was decent even though I was still wearing PJ's. It was the Maytag microwave oven cookbook I had ordered a week earlier. I said there was another thing I had ordered, so it should be arriving soon as well. I was pleased to see how my Enterprise Rentacar loyalty card had arrived, so now I have a card for all of my loyalty programs.
    In the afternoon I went to a Godfather's Pizza with my date so I could get a free dessert pizza which was on my loyalty card and was going to be available for just a few more days. We arrived just in time to have the lunch buffet, as they packed it up shortly thereafter. Afterwards I was along for the ride on some errand running, which included getting some bottles of wine. There was a clock counting down the time to the end of the Mayan calendar at the liquor store. In the evening we watched a movie, '61', about Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris chasing the home run record in 1961. I knew it had been produced by Billy Crystal. Before this I decided to watch some of the Army-Navy football game on CBS, won by Navy. Vice President Joe Biden attended, apparently President Obama couldn't make it. As usual, when watching a game I pay close attention to the announcers. I thought Verne Lundquist did fine with the play-by-play, but the color commentator Gary Danielson was a waste. He wasn't getting the terminology down, like saying 'trying to pick up a first down on a goal to go' when it wasn't even goal to go. It would have been contradictory anyway, as a first down when starting off goal to go is a touchdown. Ex-players or ex-coaches can be good announcers, but some of them are really poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment