Tuesday, December 25, 2012

The Grinch Stole Hockey

   I decided to get more pictures of a painting in a window at an eating establishment near the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul today. Once I got a better look at it close-up, it made sense why the Grinch and Cindy Lou Who were part of it. Cindy Lou had a lock but no key, and the Grinch carried a hockey stick. It is in reference to the NHL's lockout, so I guess the Grinch can steal hockey and not just Christmas. I like seeing how they're adding others to it. Next to these was Statler and Waldorf, the 'balcony critics' from the Muppets, and one of them had a thumbs down. This is likely also in reference to the labor dispute. Then we have Woodstock on Snoopy's doghouse, Snoopy with a turkey on a tray, Charlie Brown, and finally Frosty the Snowman. This establishment happens to be known as Tom Reid's Hockey City Pub.
   I am looking at my to-do list and I have accomplished plenty in the past few days. I just finished the Hawkeye Alumni Magazine reading, so yay for that. They pack a lot into these editions, published six times a year. I read articles about the diabetes epidemic, the university's Art On Campus program, fromer wrestling coach Dan Gable, and the Blue Zone. The last one is a program based on a book about practical, simple ways to increase health and well-being. The Gable article included an offer for a shirt that listed Gable after the 'Fab Four'- or the Beatles. Apparently there is a class offered at the university about the similarity between Gable and the Beatles.
    Then there's also the article about University High School in Iowa City, which closed in 1972. I had some classes in that building, now known as North Hall. It prompted me to look up another similar school, Northern University High School in Cedar Falls. It closed at the end of June, I knew it had low enrollment. I liked hearing about the concept of a K-12 school owned by a university, or a 'lab school' where teachers, principals, and superintendents have training available right on campus. It looks like the U. of Minnesota had one of these as well, not sure when it closed.  I would like to think there are some of these still in existence, but I can understand why some have closed. N.U. High was nearly closed ten years earlier. One must think of budgets and the priorities that go with them. In the case of Iowa City, I know they have three high schools- City, West, and Regina, the last of these being a Catholic school. So closing University High was likely due to low enrollment as well, as I know the movie 'Final Season' was also about closing small schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment