Friday, December 7, 2012

Unique Thrift Store

    I went to a secondhand store today known as the Unique Thrift Store in St. Paul, on Rice Street. Not sure what makes it unique unless it's because it's not a Goodwill or a Salvation Army or a Savers. I've been there before, pleased to find three items I will likely have use for. One of them was a photo album, which is already filled. I had wanted to get the last of my 'school binder type' albums thrown out, and this was a good time to do so. It was aided by deciding to take out and destroy plenty of low-quality pictures where it was too dark for me to tell what was in the picture. I had to do this less often when I got to pictures taken with digital cameras, especially the current one which I bought last year.
    I had hoped to use another as a photo album, on the cover it said 'General Mills International Board of Directors Meeting' from 1997, but the pages seem to be too narrow for most photos or postcards. It cost just a dollar and would hold just 24 photos, so I'm not out that much. I am still trying to figure out a use for it. The third item was the second season of episodes of 'The Office', a show I liked watching on syndicated reruns.
   The receipts help remind me of other places I went to today, as I wanted to get plenty of errand running done on this day off, especially when I normally work on a Friday. I started off with getting some lunch at Superamerica, then got three CDs and two postcards at Cheapo. Two of the three CDs were replacing ones I already had on cassette. The third was an Eminem CD. The postcards were of Willie Nelson and Natalie Merchant. Odd how I ended up hearing Nelson's version of 'Frosty the Snowman' later on, as I was arriving at the thrift store. I got socks at J.C. Penney, using up one of two gift certificates from the buttons. Then there was Walgreen, where I got a lightbulb to replace the one in the kitchen that had burned out two weeks ago.
  Before leaving on my journey I decided to take inventory of my music. As expected, there is not much left on cassette. And I moved four more CDs into the wallet I recently bought at Best Buy, so it is nearly full now. This was due to wanting to save space in the box it was in, and those were not in standard CD cases. They were singles in cardboard sleeves. Not too surprising as to what I all had, just that I didn't think of taking inventory any earlier. Next big project to tackle would be to take inventory of the books, which will be harder to do when I have 3 cases full already.

No comments:

Post a Comment