Friday, December 14, 2012

'The Writer' Magazine

  I had the day off from work and decided to get caught up on some reading. At first I thought about it being the papers, but reminded myself how there are some magazines I haven't read yet. Good thing I've cut back on subscriptions. It's still hard to find the time to read the ones that are left! One of these is 'The Writer' magazine, the one I kept after deciding to go from four writer magazines to one. There was one issue with an advice article saying that a writer doesn't have to write everyday. Well I am fine with writing on a regular basis, and I am a big believer in this not being a 'one size fits all' world. Different strokes for different folks. I am keeping one of these issues out to show to a friend soon, as there is an article about literary historic sites to see. Actually I have already seen some of them, like the Mark Twain sites in Hannibal, Missouri, and the Margaret Mitchell home in Atlanta, where she wrote 'Gone With The Wind'. What also interests me is mention of a place in Massachusetts related to Theodor Geisel, better known as 'Dr. Seuss'- a memorial garden. I have been to that state, when I went to Boston in 2001. But I mainly stayed in that area and this place is in another town, west of there in Springfield. I still have some more issues of 'The Writer' to read, along with the alumni magazine from the University of Iowa, a throw-in with my alumni association membership.
   I got plenty of errand running done in the afternoon, starting with returning the Redbox movie 'The Campaign'. Next was a sandwich at Superamerica, and the paper since I get it on fridays. I would have bought it at an earlier stop but the coin rack didn't work for some reason. This was when I heard about the school shooting in Connecticut, as I had it on public radio and the president's speech was on. I made it home in time to see 'Jeopardy', and it sounded like regular programming was pre-empted for news coverage for a while. According to what has been reported, the death toll is higher than at Columbine in 1999, and just below Virginia Tech in 2007. I recall both fairly well. I have seen the Michael Moore movie 'Bowling For Columbine' and recall the Virginia Tech shooter being mentioned at the Crime and Punishment Museum in Washington, DC, that I saw in 2009.
   In the evening I went out to get a sandwich downtown at the Erbert Gerbert shop, since I wanted double points on my loyalty card. Then it was on to Walgreen where I got 3 different kinds of soap, which is not typical all at the same time.  I needed bar soap, dish soap, and laundry soap. The first one I have to buy more often than the others. Then I went to Walmart nearby and got two poster frames. One was for a reprinted Lincoln campaign poster that I've had for a few years and the other was for a movie poster, 'North of 36', that I recently bought from E-bay since it's based on an Emerson Hough novel. Of the three things I ordered late last night on E-bay, two are already listed as shipped- it helps to pay right away. It includes a Linus mini-statue, and I will be pleased to have it as I had been looking for one for a while that was affordable. The other was a postcard of St. Paul's Union Depot, known as 'Union Station' when the postcard was made. I would expect the third, a combined order or postcards, is not too far behind. Both are from Canadian cities- the two I have visited (Montreal and Winnipeg) and from events they hosted in 1967. For Montreal, it was the World's Fair (known as Expo 67, and the origin for the name of the baseball team they once had). For Winnipeg, it was the Pan-Am Games, a warmup for the Olympic Games which are held a year later. It was nice finding a listing with both in it, usually I have to order postcards individually.

No comments:

Post a Comment