Thursday, December 27, 2012

Schwan Cup at Ridder Arena

   I went to see the Schwan Cup at Ridder Arena at the University of Minnesota earlier today, where Minnetonka beat Blaine 6-2. Tonka was up 1-0 after 1, and 4-1 after 2. They got 2 goals early in the 2nd. The teams traded goals early in the 3rd and the final one for Tonka was in the last minute of the game. It was nice seeing this venue for the first time, and I noticed it was much smaller seating than the university's other hockey venue, Mariucci Arena. It didn't take long to walk around it. Plenty of pictures up about Gopher women who played on national teams- some were for Canada and Finland, besides the USA- and those who were Olympians as well. There was a trophy case about the Ridders, who the arena was named for. The husband was John Mariucci's friend, and his wife wrote a book on feminism. A copy of the book was in the trophy case. I chose this game as it fit in my schedule well, being the lead-off game of the day, which began at noontime.
   After the game I went to find the University Technology Center, formerly John Marshall/University High School. It was in the Dinkytown neighborhood. I walked there after finding a cookie near campus at a Bruegger's Bagels in Stadium Village. It was expensive to eat at Ridder, I had a hot dog and some hot chocolate for $6.25. I got some pictures outside of the UTC, including of the doorways as there was the lamp in it which represents knowledge. On a lark I went inside to see what I could find, since the front door was unlocked. I saw what looked like a basketball gym, but the door was locked. Eventually I saw some artwork of the Grim Reaper, so I got a picture of it. Around this time I saw a construction worker pass by. He showed me his tattoo by rolling up his sleeve, also of the Grim Reaper. So I got a picture of it as well, and said 'Thank you so much'. I then heard him say to a colleague 'He wanted the reaper'. I left shortly thereafter. The Star Tribune article was from nearly a month ago, saying the sale would close soon and it would likely be demolished for housing as I recall. Hard to tell if there was any businesses still in operation there, or if all of them had to move out by then. But I am thankful I found it. The next thing would be to find out more about the University High School itself, such as how long it was in operation. I'm sure some of the answers are available online.
   This evening after watching 'Big Bang Theory' I went to Roseville to get socks from J.C. Penney and use up my other $5 gift certificate. Then it was on to the library to print things. It included two posters I saw on Facebook that were posted by friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment