Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Mark Twain Home in Hannibal

I had the day off from work today so I decided to get caught up on some reading. This included reading the Friday editions of the Minneapolis paper for the month of November. I still like this funny columnist they have. He covered yes and no lawn signs, a winter travel kit, Black Friday, and Christmas LED lights. With the last one he made a reference to the Chevy Chase role in the movie 'National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation'.
  After getting this done, I switched to my alumni magazines and read a year-old edition. Yes, I am a little behind on my reading. It mentioned a University of Iowa PHD graduate working at the Mark Twain home in Hannibal, Missouri. I did visit this place in March 2010 as a side trip from St. Louis as I was there for the college basketball tournament. There was mention of them selling a CD with spoken word performances and songs which featured the likes of Garrison Keillor, Clint Eastwood, and Brad Paisley. Since I have a friend that likes Brad Paisley I showed them the article tonight before I made it to the comedy club.
   In the afternoon I did venture out to do some errand running. First stop was the bank to have them count change and deposit the total into savings. It was $5.20: 85 pennies, 10 nickels, 21 dimes, and 7 quarters. It was a high total of quarters but I recalled wanting to replace what I had taken out when I wanted to get two burritos from the nearby grocery store on a Thursday. I wanted to close the gap on my food needs before making my weekly grocery run. The card I was using to keep an accurate total was filling up anyway. But I wanted to wait until it was at least five dollars.
   Next it was on to Taco Bell on Snelling, as I wanted 'The Box', with a regular taco, loco taco, and a burrito. A good deal in my opinion. Then it was on to Rosedale Mall in Roseville to use a gift card at J.C. Penney for some PJ's. Since I was wanting to replace a blue pair I said this one would also be blue. I noticed there was a button with a loose string so I pulled on it until the button was off, then went to rip it up entirely as there was a small hole by a lower button. I had wanted to replace this pair for a while, and destroying it made it more necessary. Much of my clothing gets ripped up and thrown in the trash and usually doesn't end up donated to a secondhand store as I often believe in 'use it until it's junk'. Then on to the library so I could type out two letters for my Christmas cards. I wanted to send out six, to those who had sent ones to me. I had hoped to make it home to see 'Jeopardy' but it was not to be. I did get all six cards ready before going out again in the evening, and got them over to the post office after the comedy show.
    There was light snow falling as the comedy show was ending. Before the show I discussed various subjects with a fellow comic that I hadn't seen in a while. He said he had read about German leader Otto Von Bismarck, who unified the nation. Other subjects included movies like 'Hyde Park on Hudson' and 'The Campaign', as well as 'Lincoln' since I had seen all of them recently but I don't think he had seen them yet. With Lincoln it led to talk of not knowing for sure what his voice sounded like, and I said Tom Edison invented the phonograph after Lincoln died. In terms of the actual show, the most notable thing may have been one comic who said the owner should have a sense of humor. It was in reference to some photo of his being taken down where he is showing 'the finger' twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment