Saturday, November 16, 2013

Earle Brown

     I went to a sports collectible convention in Brooklyn Center today, at the Earle Brown Center. I liked reading the historical marker out front, explaining who this man was. Apparently he was a gentleman farmer and this land was the site of one of the first airports in the state, around 1918.
   I liked what I bought at this event. The first item was a Ben Franklin half dollar. I did order one this week on E-bay, but from a different year, and it is still on the way. I also found a first day cover of the Babe Ruth stamp from 1983, the 50th anniversary of the first All-Star Game, in Chicago. Finally it was two packs of baseball cards. It reminded me how I had a pack of a hundred from Walgreen in the past year, not yet in the binders. So this evening, before and after the Gopher hockey game, I got them in the binders. There were some duplicates, 11, and I destroyed them. I did have lunch at the event, chicken chili. It is true that I went due to hearing 3 Cardinals would be there signing autographs- Lou Brock, Ozzie Smith, and Bruce Sutter. But it would have been expensive to get them and I figured there still would be things of interest there. I actually arrived after they were done signing autographs.
   Before heading to the Brooklyn Center for this event, I went to the Blockbuster Video in West St. Paul as I knew their liquidation sale is now underway. I bought two movies, one was 'The Patriot' and the other was 'Sleepwalk With Me'. These were cheaper than most of the others. With 'Patriot' it meant I was able to replace a movie I had on VHS, and I destroyed my VHS copy as they are nearly worthless now as a trade-in. 'Sleepwalk' was about a comedian, and of course it spoke to me as I do comedy. I even recall seeing a poster for it at one club when it was at theaters. I also got two bags of Orville Redenbacher microwave popcorn, and a 6-pack of little Butterfinger bars.
    I saw a colleague at the Gopher hockey game, much like last year, what are the odds? I was on my way to my seat after getting a hot dog and a drink. The Gophers beat Mankato 3-0. The Gophers had won on Friday, 4-1, so it was a sweep of the weekend series. I liked having a seat in the first row near one of the corners, as many times one saw the players go there to get the puck. After the game I was walking back to my car and somebody must have seen my Iowa Hawkeye coat as I heard them say 'Who hates Iowa? We hate Iowa!' I ignored them, as it would have been a no-win situation.
   After the game I made it home in time to see Lady Gaga hosting Saturday Night Live. She did get the song 'Applause' into the opening segment, as well as another skit. She did two songs, one of them had R. Kelly in it apparently. The second was at a piano. I had some of the popcorn while watching the show.
    The program after it was an infomercial for Pawn America, a place I haven't been to yet. They went through some of the history of pawning, claiming the song 'Pop goes the weasel' was about pawning. Another claim was how Queen Isabella pawned some jewelry to finance the Columbus voyage. The host also said he didn't like the image of pawning shown all too often in movies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment