Saturday, November 2, 2013

Nike #Harder Shirt

  I went to the Mall of America today and bought a shirt at Foot Locker. It was a Nike shirt, a replacement for one that was becoming too ratty to wear. It said '#Harder' above the Nike logo, and in much bigger letters as well. It is funny on some level as I don't have a Twitter account, and I understand the 'Hash tag' is something common on Twitter.
   It does bring back memories of some of the Nike shirts I have had previously. This one is black, the previous one was white and had a small Nike logo in red thread. Below it was 'There is no finish line'. Not sure how long I had it, but it was likely bought when I was living in suburban Chicago. So there is a good chance it was at least 10 years old as I haven't lived there in a while. There were some others, as far back as high school and I think one was gray and another was white. But those early ones had a bigger Nike logo on them. I say back in high school as I recall a friend of my mom's from church once referred to me by the shirt, and she died when I was in college. I've just wanted to keep one around so it means getting a replacement whenever needed. This one was found on a discount rack, as I know plenty of good clothing can be found there.
   I did one thing with the new shirt that I did with the previous one. This would be adding 'Go Pre' onto the tag with a marker. I liked reading the story of track star Steve Prefontaine, and knew he worked for Nike in its early days since his coach was a founder of the company. Fans often said 'Go Pre' when he was running. I wasn't a track star, but I liked his determination. He hated to lose and hardly ever did once he found something he was good at. I even bought a book about his life, called 'Pre'- The story of America's greatest running legend, written by Tom Jordan. Haven't been to Coos Bay, Oregon, his hometown, but my college roommate has been there on business. Someday I am sure I will see it, and it should have a familiar feel since it sounds like a working class town, much like where I grew up. I did see both of the movies about his life, 'Prefontaine' and 'Without Limits', and have the latter on DVD, found at a secondhand store.
    I had to go to a Fedex Office since a print of a hockey ticket for this month wasn't good enough at the library. The library closed before I had a chance to have it redone properly. I like visiting with one of the employees there, somebody I have kept in touch with over the years of my patronage there. He is in training to be a chiropractor. He asked if I had a business card. I said I keep forgetting to have them on me, usually they are in my backpack and I don't take it everywhere with me. So after some more errand running- like to visit Godfather's Pizza in Burnsville and to grocery shop- I made it back just before his shift ended. He said his California friend also does comedy, and may be in town soon. I said I am quite knowledgeable about the Twin City comedy scene so I am willing to help out with recommendations on venues and the comics as well. I liked how he said he likes to visit Hell's Kitchen restaurant in Minneapolis, when I said I had a gig there in September.  

No comments:

Post a Comment