Sunday, November 24, 2013

Eminem Interview In Rolling Stone

    I found a copy of Rolling Stone magazine and liked seeing Eminem on the cover. It said 'Eminem reborn: looking forward, looking back'. The interview said it was covering the real Marshall Mathers. One quote was: 'Hip hop is the only thing I've ever been decent at. they have a word for that: idiot savant?' Plenty of pictures, one was with Jay-Z at a Detroit Tigers baseball game. Another was him on Saturday Night Live, guess I missed that one. Must have been recent as it said 'Berzerk'- which is a recent song. One question was about 'Stan' entering the lexicon. Found out it was an Eminem song about getting fan letters. It was a sad song, ending with the suicide of the fan. But it wasn't shocking at all, as Eminem has been willing to cover issues like these in his songs. After finding 'Stan' on Youtube, I went back to what is probably my favorite- 'Need a doctor'. This one had plenty of passion in it as well, as it was about his mentor, Dr. Dre. 'You risked your career for me'. Then I found an interview with his ex-wife, Kim, on ABC, and then his interview with Anderson Cooper from '60 Minutes' on CBS. I like seeing people get interviewed, as plenty can be learned from it.
    When he mentions in the Rolling Stone interview how he doesn't do many concert tours now, I am thankful I saw his concert at Madison Square Garden in 2005. It was the proverbial 'Two birds, one stone'- wanted to see his show, and an event a the world-famous MSG. So I did it on my week-long vacation that year. I have the postcard from New York where I mention it- how 'Lose Yourself'- from the movie '8-Mile' was the final song of the night.
     I called my college roommate before the pro football games began at midday. I did wish him a happy Thanksgiving and it was a good idea to call when I did. He likes his pro football and once the games started I noticed it was hard to compete, having multiple TV monitors on to different games. He would like to move back to suburban Chicago, closer to family and poker-playing buddies, but he hasn't found a job in his field and with his company there just yet. He did share on Facebook about a month ago about a trial run and being hopeful, but it fell through. He said he had been to a 9 Inch Nails concert in Newark, NJ- since he lives in eastern PA and works at a cyclotron in NJ.
   I watched the bonus features on the Anti-Walmart movie and returned the video to the library. There were commercial spoofs, and I recognized a production assistant in one of them as a comedian friend. He did acknowledge this when I mentioned it in a Facebook posting.
   I watched some of the pro football games today, but the day was also about mundane things like getting caught up on mail and paperwork. There was plenty of activity on E-harmony, as it is a free communication weekend. Now I have 5 matches up to email stage. But with the Thanksgiving holiday coming soon I know I need to be patient about setting up dates. On '60 Minutes' I liked seeing an interview at the end about author Malcolm Gladwell, he sounds like somebody who has many traits like me. Often being an outsider, and a recluse as well. But I know writers tend to be a recluse anyway. It was done as a 'David and Goliath' story as underdogs find their own paths to success. Another thing that resonated with me was how his critics will say he sometimes 'States the obvious'- well I know I can do this too.

No comments:

Post a Comment