Sunday, November 10, 2013

Fort Emerson Hough Demolition

     I was checking videos on Youtube recently and noticed they now have some tagged 'Emerson Hough'. Some are of his first book, 'Singing Mouse Stories'. Another was about the demolition of Fort Emerson Hough, a wooden playground with a western theme on the grounds of the school of the same name. I left a comment saying it didn't have to happen, how too many things in Newton have fallen victim to neglect since Maytag left town.
   I liked getting plenty of things crossed off my list today. It started early, with getting a funnel to replace the one I had that was cracked. Not every convenience store sells them, so it has been hard to find in terms of the stores I frequent. Next was getting a Visa card as the reward from my Super-America loyalty card. Takes a while to get enough points for it, but it will pay for groceries for a week. Then it was claiming a cabinet that was left on the sidewalk. I saw it when I went out this morning to have a breakfast sandwich at McDonald's. It sure was a chore to get it home, as it wouldn't fit in my car. So I had to move it end to end, and end over end. Since my cases and box full of CD's is now inside it, and my CD player is on top, I think of it as another entertainment center. I posted a photo about it on Facebook, already got a few likes.
   In the early evening I went to Walgreen to get some picture prints and a CD of photos, in order to add some to Facebook. This included adding some more comedian friends to the ring of honor.
    While I was waiting I went to Barnes and Noble and got a Charlie Brown book, called Peanuts Treasury, and Snoopy is on the cover, dancing around. Also got another coin folder, this time for Canadian pennies. I have 15 in it. This was the lion's share of my Canadian coins. It left just 7- nickel, dime, 3 quarters, 2 dollars. The first one had King George VI on it, from 1949. The newest is from 2010. I would just save them whenever I got them as change, same as many other coins in my collection. Though I do recall dumping some of them in a fountain at the Detroit airport when I was there for a writer's convention two years ago, as I had too many. Not sure how many pennies I dumped then, but I said certain ones I wanted to save at that time. The anniversary editions are nice- from 1967 and 1992. So is 2002- 50 years of Queen Elizabeth II as monarch. I had two from 2001, so I will send one of them to the wishing well the next time I am at Mall of America. There is another penny I have kept, it is at the office. It was memorable to me as I got it at Charlie Brown's barber shop when I was very young. It was a big deal to see a Canadian coin at the time, it was why I wrote down the date on the tape when I kept it in a photo album for a while. Eventually I transferred it to an index card with some other notable coins. I like the description that goes with the folder, going through the history as well as the dimensions of the coin. I haven't visited Canada for a while, been there twice. Most recently was to Winnipeg in 2004. But someday I would expect to be there again. Hard to say if I want more coin folders, though I do have plenty of Lincoln pennies, nearly 20, especially from the 'Wheat ear' era before 1959. I also kept all four types from 2009, an anniversary year.

No comments:

Post a Comment