Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Harry Nilsson

     At the comedy club tonight, I liked discussing music with the show runner as I learn plenty since he knows music well. He was lending a CD to my 'Bestie' and it happened to be a Harry Nilsson special. I said I mainly knew his song 'Everybody's talking' which was in the movie 'Midnight cowboy'. The song was also in 'Forrest Gump' as a scene from 'Cowboy' was copied in 'Gump'. He told me he has done plenty of other songs, even if just writing songs that others perform. Youtube confirmed it.
      My 'Bestie' did a new joke about a lost dog, which was brilliant. It was about losing someone else's dog. A touring comic, who will be headlining another club in the area this week, did a joke about eating raw cookie dough and not wanting to donate Coinstar change to charity.
    At midday I would have predicted a different title for this entry. I was walking through the skyway and I heard a song being played in one of the businesses I was passing by. It was the Eddie Vedder  cover of 'You've got to hide your love away' by the Beatles. I stopped to pause and say I liked hearing it, and the man inside liked my comment. I do recall hearing the Beatles version on the 8-tracks my parents had. I think I liked the 'Hey!' in it a lot. I've said it before how I like hearing a pause in songs, where they aren't necessarily singing like hearing a grunt. But I also liked the story that Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder told before playing it when I saw the show at Alpine Valley in 2003. It was a memory of a family member who had passed.
   More of the E-bay orders arrived, three in all. The Lewis and Clark nickels, a first day cover from the New Orleans World's Fair in 1984, and a postcard of the Ford Motor Company pavilion at the 1933 Chicago World's Fair. I made a nice find on Emerson Hough items, a flyer from Great Britain advertising the movie 'North of 36', based on his novel, at a theater in 1926. It was annoying how some of the listings on E-bay spelled his name wrong. Two reprints of his books listed him as 'Houghton' and not 'Hough', likely confused with the name of a publisher, Houghton Mifflin.
   At work there was a office-wide meeting in the lower level near the street in the late afternoon. I liked the food made available there, the little chunks of cheese, pineapple chunks, and little potatoes as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment