Saturday, November 23, 2013

Wal-Mart: High Cost, Low Price

      This evening after calling a college roommate I watched a video: Wal-Mart: the high cost of low price. After a while it did make me think of a 'Simpsons' episode- when one clip revealed illegal aliens were hired to clean the store overnight and were locked in until morning. In that episode it was Homer who was a part of it and the store name was changed to 'Sprawl-Mart'. A thing that surprised me was claiming the management was fine with recommending employees go onto the state government's welfare insurance. Or having a task force in place to stop unions from forming. It ended with mention of places that were successful in keeping the store from coming to town. It did sound familiar when they spoke of many former storefronts being vacant- I know this happened in my hometown. Somebody told me it was due to Wal-Mart not wanting to have a competitor buy the building after they had moved to a larger building.
    There were some errands I wanted to run today before seeing a football game at a sports bar. I made it to two of these places. The first was Walgreen. I had hoped to find a certain DVD there, which I was available earlier in the week, but it must have already been sold. I did decide to get another one, it was 'Batman' from 1989 starring Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson. Next was to Cheapo Records. I got three CDs there. This included the Simpsons 'Yellow' album, naturally it was a Beatles parody. Others were an import CD- Pearl Jam's 'Dissident'- and Green Day's 'Nimrod'. I can take a while in this store, even got two postcards as well, so by then the game had started so I headed over to the sports bar.
   The game I saw was Iowa against Michigan. Iowa had just tied it at 7-7 when I arrived, late in the first quarter. It appears Michigan's score was on a 'Pick 6', based on the highlights I kept seeing. Iowa fell behind 21-7 by halftime, so it didn't look good. Michigan's second score was set up by an interception. I was getting annoyed with the people I was sitting behind, as they kept yelling. So I moved near the end of the first half, before the score was 21-7. I was closer to the bar and near a much smaller monitor but I didn't mind. Eventually the server found me and I did order a Reuben sandwich to go with the beer I had already ordered shortly after arriving. I was much happier after the move. The momentum changed in the second half, as Iowa outgained Michigan by plenty and went on to beat Michigan 24-21. Iowa got the ball back with just over two minutes left, but still had to run some plays as Michigan had all three timeouts left. Iowa picked up two first downs, and were finally able to do the 'Victory formation'- the kneel-downs. They have another game, next week at Nebraska, so the bowl game they are headed to is still 'To be determined'. But seven wins looks better than six.
  After the game I did make it to the library where I printed a few things, along with return the Yellowstone video. Then in the evening I made another visit to the Blockbuster Video liquidation sale. I made a nice find there- the first season of 'Newhart' on DVD. Also got another pack of little Butterfinger bars, as well as two bags of microwave popcorn. It does look like some other liquidation sales I have been to- where they truly mean 'Everything must go'. A few things not normally available are there- like 3-ring binders and Blockbuster 'Ticket' logo signs.

No comments:

Post a Comment