Thursday, November 7, 2013

Professor Proton Returns

       I was thrilled to see Bob Newhart- one of my comedy influences- guest star on 'Big Bang Theory' tonight. I read how he did get an Emmy for the first guest appearance as Professor Proton. I had seen online comments giving more ideas for a third guest appearance. I think my favorite line was 'Back off, bowtie!' to a rival show host. I'm still reading through his book that I bought recently. The syndicated rerun of 'Bang' that I saw tonight was one where Howard returned from being an astronaut and nobody really noticed except for a server at a diner.
    Watching the show tonight sure figured into my logistics. I needed to make a quick run to the grocery store for a few items and I did it in the 30 minutes between episodes. I liked seeing Egg Nog, as it's the season for it. So I got a quart. I usually get a quart a week until it's all gone, and it tends to stay available until January.
      After the show I took care of a little housekeeping and then headed out for a walk around the neighborhood. It seemed to take less time than usual, likely since there are plenty of leaves on the ground now and it is harder to see any trash. Usually I pick up trash if I can see it. I did pick up some trash, at a bus stop. And I got three pull tabs from pop and beer cans.
   At midday I walked a little near my workplace and picked up an abandoned pencil, not yet sharpened and pink. It can be hard to find this kind of office supply. I had been using some of the hollow ones with thin lead that breaks easily, and these don't really do anything for me.
   I read the news about most of the remaining Blockbuster Video stores will close soon. I haven't been there in over two years, ever since I first tried Redbox, which had a movie that Blockbuster didn't. I checked how many stores are left in the Twin Cities, according to their website just four- West St. Paul, Minneapolis, Bloomington, and Rosemount. I may want to find my way to one of these for the liquidation sale. Besides movies I knew they had popcorn, candy, and some art. The membership cards are likely a collector's item now, mine is in a binder with other inactive member cards. I was issued the card in 1998, my first year living in suburban Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment