Sunday, November 3, 2013

Mary Todd Lincoln Play

    This afternoon I went to a play at Park Square Theater in St. Paul called 'Mary T and Lizzy K', about Mary Todd Lincoln. It is the 3rd Lincoln play I have seen, but first I saw in the Twin Cities.
'Our American Cousin' was one I saw in eastern Wisconsin in March, and 'Our Leading Lady' I saw in the Carolinas in 2010. I stayed for the post-play discussion, and asked the actor playing Abe Lincoln if he had played Lincoln before- he had not. I said there was a call for Lincoln impersonators, and the rest of the crowd laughed when hearing this. I also said I liked mention of Ann Rutledge in it, something that some historians ignore when telling the Lincoln story and others write off as a myth.
   In the morning I did see the DVD copy of 'Kings Speech', the movie I got from the company's United Way silent auction. It is a rare movie in terms of one that got me emotional. It is because many things depicted in it were relatable. The speech therapist was tough, reminding me of a former boss and mentor who wouldn't give up on me but also wouldn't put up with my whining. Also the parts when the king allowed himself to swear, reminding me of the John Wayne movie 'The Cowboys' where John's character allowed a kid to swear to cure a speech problem.
   I saw an odd thing when I was taking back some carts to a grocery store this evening. It was a wet-dry vacuum at a bus stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment