Saturday, November 30, 2013

Jane Byrne

     Tonight I saw 'Storm Stories' on WCCO after the 10pm news. This one was of greater interest to me than most of the editions they've shown before. It was about the problems with snow removal in Chicago in early 1979 that led to Jane Byrne getting elected mayor. Since I used to live in the northwest suburbs I was familiar with some of those mentioned in the show. This included WGN weatherman Tom Skilling, who apparently was a rookie at that time. It was nice seeing familiar things like the Jewel grocery store in the background at one point. One thing I saw didn't surprise me much, since I think it is still happening there. I saw a chair on the street, this is a way of 'Marking territory' so no one else will park there after snow removal. I knew nothing about then-mayor Michael Bilandic, likely since he wasn't in office for long. It's known as 'The city that works', and since then- according to this feature- there have been no problems with snow removal. One of the things they use now is GPS on the snowplows, so as expected one of the helpful things is the advancements in technology.
     This was a day of errand running. First stop was groceries. Then on to Blockbuster Video, where I found a DVD I had passed on earlier- 'West of Memphis'. There are a few others that interest me, but I'm pacing myself. I know the liquidation sale runs until January. I also got more microwave popcorn and a pack of Nestle Crunch bars. Third stop was to a stamp collecting event at a Best Western near downtown St. Paul. I really felt like it was home, as I heard somebody speak well of a World's Fair while there. I was looking at postcards nearby when this happened. I got one postcard, from the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair. It was the Palace of Electricity. I also got four first day covers, which were cheaper. This included the Minnesota Centennial in 1958, Frederic Remington in 1961, President Kennedy in 1964, and Davy Crockett in 1967. Even though I really enjoyed being there, I had a limit for what I would purchase. When I was out of the cash money I brought, I left. On to the library, where I printed the schedule for an upcoming entertainment festival. It will last 12 days, and I wanted to study the available shows and then decide which ones I am attending. Wanting to see comedy, of course, narrows it down some, as just under half of the shows have it. Another thing that does is the days when I am already booked, like a play I already have a ticket for. Fifth and final place was Cheapo Records, where I got the '8-Mile' movie soundtrack. It was a replacement for the one I had which had been scratched. I waited until the claim on E-bay was closed, where the one I ordered through there was not going to arrive. It's doubtful that I will try to order a CD there again. This proves that I am more than likely able to find what I want, music-wise, in a local store. Some items are fine to keep ordering on E-bay, like the first day covers and postcards.
    In the evening I made it home in time to see the ending of the Alabama-Auburn football game. The ending was stunning to say the least, as Auburn ran back a missed field goal to win 34-28. I didn't feel like switching channels so it stayed in CBS, where a Christmas program was being shown. I fell asleep and eventually I said I should watch a video I recently acquired. I chose 'Sleepwalk With Me', the movie about a comedian.

No comments:

Post a Comment