Sunday, May 25, 2014

About Last Night Movie

    I saw the Redbox movie earlier today. It was 'About Last Night', the remake that was at theaters earlier this year. It had been promoted at one of the comedy clubs I frequent. I usually will eventually see those movies they promote. I think I have seen the original from the 1980s, but it has been a while. There is a clip from the original in this version. I liked one of the couples more than the other. This would be the characters played by Michael Ealy and Joy Bryant. They were more sensible than the other couple, played by Kevin Hart and Regina Hall. But I understand that Kevin Hart is a comedian so as some would say 'There is a reason behind the madness'. Kevin was in it for comic relief. As a baseball fan I liked seeing baseball as part of the storyline, where one date was at a Dodgers game and he wears a Fernando Valenzuela jersey. Also familiar when he answers his office phone by saying 'Yeah', which is often what I do. In fact I got the idea from a movie or TV show. Another line I liked was when Joy's character is on a business trip in Chicago, and meets her ex. She says 'I forgot how nice you are' and he says 'I hate that about me'. I liked it as it was an honest depiction about dating relationships, the good and the bad. Plenty of good points were made in it.
   I did watch one segment out of six on a DVD I got at Walgreen recently, it was a mini-series. This was an adaption of Carl Sandburg's book about President Abraham Lincoln. Hal Holbrook played Lincoln, and it was from 1974. I watched the segment known as 'Prairie Lawyer' where Mary Owens refuses to marry him. It does not appear to depict anything related to his relationship with Ann Rutledge, based on what I have seen so far. I know this part of Lincoln's life still interests me, ever since I rode an Amtrak train from Chicago to St. Louis where the train was named Ann Rutledge.
    I went to the St. Paul Saints baseball game tonight, the Saints beat Sioux Falls 3-2. The Saints went ahead early 1-0 on a solo home run, then fell behind 2-1. But they went ahead 3-2 after a throwing error in the 7th. I saw two people I know tonight, one of them was a comedian friend. This is the one that moved from Arizona and does a joke about having a lisp. He is an airport bartender if I'm not mistaken. The other was an old friend that I hadn't seen since August. Actually it was somebody I had dated for more than 2 years. We spoke about baseball games we had attended this season, Twins as well as Saints. Also about movies attended, and how I had bought a Brad Paisley CD at a dollar store in my neighborhood. This was my old friend's favorite musician. We found each other after the game, it was food truck and fireworks night as this is Memorial Day weekend. After we spoke for a few minutes, we hugged and I left. I watched the fireworks at another location. I like how we spoke again. What I also like is not just what I said, but didn't say.

No comments:

Post a Comment