Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Try To Catch The Deluge

    At midday I wanted to take a walk outside but I noticed it was raining hard, coming down in sheets. And for some reason I thought of the phrase 'Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup'. I looked it up and found it was from the Crowded House song 'Don't dream its over'. I do like metaphors, and I understood this one well. It's about attempting something that is foolish. After my online searches for the lyrics- and listening to their version along with the later one by Sixpence None The Richer- I understood the song had nothing to do with rain, but relationships. I hadn't heard the song in a while. The deluge part was early, and later lyrics were also brilliant. This included 'Get to know the feeling of liberation and release' as well as 'Walking again, to the beat of a drum'. I tend to like any song where a lyric about a drumbeat is in it. I've probably said it before how I understand the importance of a drummer in a band. The drummer is the forgotten member in the back, but very necessary. I identify with drummers as I often took those 'Lesser or forgotten' jobs in the back when I was young- like dishwasher and janitor. I liked hearing Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl say in a magazine interview basically the same thing, though more bluntly. How 'Your band sucks without a good drummer'.
     After the comedy show tonight, I saw a Facebook posting from the Mason City native where a song was being shared. First time hearing of it, it was 'Get up Edina' by Desmond Dekker. The posting said it was early 1960s Jamaican ska music . Memorable was the lyric about sending somebody back to their mama. I liked how I was thought of when this song was being shared on Facebook. But I know those who read these words know I often write about music, as I hear plenty of it. This is especially true when driving someplace as I usually have my car radio on. Naturally the first thing I thought of was how it was spelled the same way as the name of a rich Twin Cities suburb. He is right, they probably don't listen to much ska there. But it's a good joke, and we are comedians.
    There was another edition of the contest tonight at the comedy club. The 'Resistable comic' and the turtle check comic were in it. Turtle check advanced, one of three. He will be added to my 'Ring of honor', as a photo was done after the show. The Maryland native will be added as well. I liked hearing not just the sweater joke from turtle check but also the variation on a swear word.

No comments:

Post a Comment