Tuesday, May 13, 2014

San Francisco World's Fair

     I decided to get caught up on my mail tonight since I didn't on Monday. It meant getting more postcards from E-bay orders into the photo albums. Twelve cards arrived, 10 were from a single order. It had 3 each from New York, Seattle, and San Francisco. The tenth was from Chicago, the Black Forest village. I did have one postcard from the 1915 San Francisco world's fair, and these three were the first I have acquired from the 1939 fair. It was surprising how there were 2 fairs in the same year, as New York also had a world's fair in 1939. It shows the Temple Compound, the Court of Reflections, and Court of Flowers. The last one also had an ad for Union 76 on it. I now have four from the 1962 Seattle world's fair, in addition to one from the 1909 Seattle fair. And now I have 9 from the 1964 New York fair. Some of them are just of the Unisphere. With 3 from different orders, I now have 96 postcards from the 1933 Chicago world's fair. One of those that just arrived was of a Braniff plane taking off near Chicago's lakefront to deliver the mail.
     It was no problem staying busy at work today, as a colleague was out and we had to see that all duties were covered. I did most of the payoff report, and all of the new titles, nearly 200. I perfected and filed contracts from one of the two Fed-Ex packs. What I liked was how it got me out of doing letters, as it can be hard to keep up with the letter process.
    At the comedy club tonight, this edition of the contest had the godmother as leadoff comic after the MC. She did well with jokes about JV landscaping and being married to a cop, but did not advance. An announcement was made about an executive decision, it led to 3 comics advancing to the next round instead of two. I made it earlier there than typical, and decided to eat at the show. There was a big interest in the hockey game, as the Wild were playing in Game 6 of the playoffs against Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment