Sunday, May 11, 2014

Stockman House, Frank Lloyd Wright

    On my way back to the Twin Cities today I stopped in Mason City, Iowa, and toured the Stockman House. Frank Lloyd Wright was the architect. It is the third F.L. Wright building I have seen, the other two are a gas station in Cloquet, MN, and the Guggenheim Museum in New York City. I did see plenty of brochures there about touring other buildings he designed. For a long time I would drive near Mason City and see the sign from the road about this house but I seemed to be in a rush to get somewhere else so it was hard to schedule for a while. I figured I had enough time today to see one of the two buildings he designed in this town. I am hopeful I can see the other, a hotel, later this year. I bought a set of 8 postcards of the house while there.
   It took me a while to make it back home today. I left Mason City shortly after 2pm and finally made it back at 6pm. I am more leisurely when driving back home as I tend to get tired and make more stops. In addition, there was a construction delay and I had to figure out how to re-route myself. It was a parking lot on I-35 and I was able to get off at the Lakeville/Farmington exit, though I still needed some time to get home from there. I made it back with the rental car before the scheduled return time. I like having somebody receive the car and this service ends at 7pm, I got back just before 6:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment