Saturday, May 17, 2014

Fed Up Documentary

     I read the paper and saw a movie of interest to me in the entertainment section. It was 'Fed Up', a documentary about the food industry. It was a movie done by Katie Couric. It put the blame for the childhood obesity epidemic on sugar being in so many foods. Whenever Congress apparently wants to change things to benefit the public more, the lobbyists prevent it from happening. It did make comparisons to how the tobacco lobby was for a while. I liked seeing them use cigarette ads from TV as examples, since I hadn't seen many cigarette ads before. Big Tobacco's reach was far, as one of the ads was on 'The Flintstones'. Some prominent politicians were willing to be interviewed about the food industry, including ex-President Clinton and U.S. Senator Tom Harkin of Iowa, my native state. But others were not, including Senator Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota, as well as First Lady Michelle Obama. Apparently Amy K. fought for a Minnesota company, Schwan, since there was a threat of the government changing the laws with school lunches and it would have meant pulling pizza from these lunches. Schwan was a big supplier of pizza. Will it change the way I eat? Possibly. I did change things up a little today after getting back from the Lagoon theater in Minneapolis where I saw it. I did my weekly grocery shopping and got orange juice with a lower sugar content. And I got a sugar-free snack from the discount table.
    This evening I went to a St. Paul Saints baseball game, my first of the season. They beat the Gary South Shore Rail Cats 6-4. The Saints led early, 1-0 after the first inning, then extended it to 2-0. They fell behind 4-2 and retook the lead 6-4 in the 7th, aided by a 3-run home run. I did take plenty of pictures, and tried harder to get closer as I know this means they are usually better ones. One of these was of an 'Usher-tainer', the nerd. I didn't seem to see them do the Cub Foods 'What's in the bag' promotion between innings, it is my favorite. The shuttle bus driver from Gabe's Bar recognized me.

No comments:

Post a Comment