Saturday, May 31, 2014

Wits Show, Peter Sagal

   This evening I went to see the Wits show at the Fitzgerald in downtown St. Paul. I went to this edition as I like 'Wait Wait Don't Tell Me' on public radio and the show's host, Peter Sagal, appeared. One of my comedian friends performed early on, it was her bit about a cabin in Wisconsin. She has done jokes about playing football as well. And there was the music. Before the show I liked hearing 'Tennis Court' by Lorde. I liked being a part of the sing-along near the end, it was 'Birdhouse in your soul' by They Might Be Giants. There was also a story about the Adele song 'Someone Like You', where little kids were dancing to it. Though even funnier was telling the story of Leonard Cohen texting himself, and how his song 'Hallelujah' was written. In my notes I said 'Lenny'.
    Before the show I liked hearing songs on public radio and one ad to guess what they were. It was 'Why do fools fall in love', Don't you want me', and 'Do you realize'. While waiting at the Fitz for the show to begin it was 'You don't own me' by Lesley Gore. Certain lyrics really resonated with me, suc as 'Don't tell me what to say' and 'Just let me be myself'. The show started off with Peter Sagal doing a 'Wait wait' joke, and another was about Garrison Keillor since 'Prairie Home Companion' is based in this venue. Then there was one about Steve King books, 'Christine' and 'Carrie'. Later ones were about Spider-Man, Steel Magnolias, Cuban Revolution, and Dirty Dancing. Then references were made to two rappers, Lil Wayne and Jay-Z, followed by the Beatles, Shakespeare, and Little Women. After intermission, a bit was about tough choices to make. Lincoln or Einstein, Clooney or Damon, comedy or pizza. More book references were made, to Charlotte's Web, and Slaughterhouse Five. One star reviews were read from online.
    It was a good day in general for hearing music, likely due to the warm weather. I went to a festival in Eden Prairie, called Schooner Days, and heard a DJ playing some country songs. The first was 'Water' by Brad Paisley, the second was 'Chicken Fried' by the Zac Brown Band. On my car radio while on my way to run an errand I heard what sounded like a Hank Williams song, and it was. It was 'Riding the rails under God's blue sky'. The title was 'Rambling Man'.
   I had a date at a Caribou Coffee shop inside a grocery store this afternoon. I haven't seen this type of setup too often, usually I see it in its own building.

No comments:

Post a Comment