Thursday, November 13, 2014

Bankstas Movie

    I had the day off from work, using up vacation days before year-end. I went to see a free movie in Mounds View, 'Bankstas'. It was about recent college grads working at an investment bank trying to stop a crooked deal involving student loans. Alan Thicke, from 'Growing Pains', was in it as the boss man. As my dad would say, the boss's son was one you're not supposed to like. I was just one of three watching the movie. I saw it with somebody I had met at another free movie early this year. We had talked on Facebook a little since then, but that was all until today. Having attended college I am quite familiar with student loans, so doing a movie about it was appropriate. Most memorable will be the attractive Grace Lynn Kung, who played Diane. She was one of the two lady employees at the office.
According to IMDB, she was also in 'Blue State', which I saw as a Blockbuster rental. It was about those who said they wanted to move to Canada when they didn't like the results of an election. I would call this movie I just saw a 'Farce', since it had a ridiculous and unlikely storyline. According to Grace's Wikipedia page this movie was also called 'Cubicle Warriors'. My movie friend said it reminded him of 'Secret of my success', a movie from the 1980s starring Michael J. Fox.  I had seen it so the reference wasn't lost on me. And it was a fair correlation.
    In the evening when I got back from the movie I saw two episodes of 'Big bang theory'. The syndicated rerun was one where Raj and Stuart tried to talk to people at the mall. The prime time episode was one where Raj's parents split up and Leonard has surgery related to his snoring. Sheldon did not approve of it. I also got caught up on things, like getting more business cards in the binder, as well as more full pages in sheet protectors in another binder. I also listened to a friend's comedy CD, the Wisconsin guy. Some of the jokes I had heard before, just not in a while. Others I hadn't heard at all. I recognized the MC introducing him was the 'Extra murder' comic. I really liked the joke about the seagulls at JC Penney. Another good one I had heard before, it was the one comparing two people in different cultures saying 'I can't live like this'. And I liked one about a woman falling at the mall. Another thing I did related to comedy was get a look at the 'Ring of honor' photos I had printed. I upload them onto my Facebook page, and I print all of them and frame them. Except I haven't framed any in a while. There are nearly 50 comics in it now, so I have run out of space on the table where I write, as well as on top of the refrigerator. So it made sense to just place these prints in a photo album now. I also eliminated the backlog on the postcards I had bought recently, they are also now in albums. Before leaving for the movie, I ate lunch at Super-America and used a 2 for 1 coupon at Dairy Queen. I liked knowing I still could get a pumpkin spice Blizzard treat, even though it is no longer the flavor of the month. I have seen a movie ad tonight more than once- Whiplash, it spoke of the two worst words being good job.   

No comments:

Post a Comment