Sunday, November 9, 2014

Toys Exhibit, MN History Center

    I went to the Toys Exhibit at the Minnesota History Center this afternoon. I knew it would be wrapping up in January so I didn't want to wait much longer to get there. As I was about to turn in to pay for parking I saw a banner that said there was free admission if a new toy was donated. This program started just a few days earlier. I really liked the exhibit, though I got a little annoyed with one employee who couldn't get his facts straight. He was at a booth that said 'Psychiatric help, five cents' like Lucy from the 'Charlie Brown and Snoopy' comic strip. But it had GI Joe items at this station. He said there weren't any Charlie Brown items at the exhibit, after I was done looking at everything I came back and said there were three. One section had a puzzle with Schroeder the piano player, and a dancing Snoopy. Another had a series of dolls including Belle, Snoopy's sister. The final place had a Charlie Brown doll by itself. As expected, the 'Newer' toys in this exhibit, the ones from the 1970s, I was more familiar with. There was Hungry Hungry Hippos and Bert and Ernie dolls in this section, along with a Speak and Spell, and Star Wars figurines. There was also the game called 'Charge it!', a game my grandma had. In other areas I recognized Tinker Toys, and Tonka Trucks as well as Nerf balls in a 'Garage'. I did learn something, like how there were board games for TV cop Baretta, and for movie spy James Bond. A photo of the Snoopy puzzle was posted on Twitter, as there was a request to share photos there under a specific hash tag. I bought a few items in the gift shop, including a Charlie Brown 'Scan-imation' book. I gave my business card to an employee, found out we knew the same comic, the opera singer is his brother. There was a joke that opera told about his brother being a re-enactor at Ft. Snelling.
   After the exhibit I went to the library to print things, and to write something out before typing my entry. I made the most of my time there, leaving at closing time after being there for over two hours. Then it was on to find the movie theater in Mounds View, as I was informed about free movie tickets there. I had a little trouble finding it, but hadn't been to this town before. It was good to have a dry run before I go there for real, cuts down on the odds of being late. After I was done I got dinner at Super-America. I thought about it after eating there how lunch was also away from home, at a Holiday station. After the evening meal I went to a Walgreen to take care of a photo order. I was adding photos while watching the Bears/Packers Sunday night football game, but didn't play close attention to the game as it was already 21-0 Packers when I turned it on.
   I read the stats about where the blog is being read, amazed that it includes Poland, Turkey, The Ukraine, and Iran. Haven't been to any of these nations.

No comments:

Post a Comment