Thursday, November 6, 2014

Underground Railroad

    I read about a church in my hometown that is closing soon, Wittemberg Church near Newton, Iowa. It was on the Underground Railroad, one of 13 sites in Iowa with this National Park Service designation, which was just given a few months earlier. I had seen one of these sites before, outside Iowa. This would be the Old Courthouse in St. Louis, near the Gateway Arch. I am hopeful this means the church is preserved in some form, and also gets listed on the National Register of Historic Places. I found out 6 of the other 12 sites in the state are also on the National Register. I will be submitting a letter to the editor about it, as I care about history issues. And it means seeing the site, which also includes a cemetery and Grange Hall, on my next visit to the area.
    I did a walk around the neighborhood after watching Big Bang Theory in the early evening. What I found was much of the typical trash, but also a property tax form. It reminds me of my need to do this form as well. The prime time episode of 'Big Bang' was about a make-up prom, though it became a free-for-all which was kind of expected from a show that is a farce in most episodes. The syndicated rerun had Leonard's mom on it, via webcam, as Penny read the book Leonard's mom wrote which was embarrassing to Leonard as it was a case study of his childhood.   

No comments:

Post a Comment