Sunday, November 16, 2014

Whiplash Movie

    Tonight I went to see the movie 'Whiplash' in Eagan. I got another loyalty card while there, so it means registering it. In one word, this movie was intense. Seeing the blood, sweat and tears (literally) is why the movie deserves this word. I felt a little stunned, and exhausted, due to the intensity. I thought I had prepared for it by reading a review in the Minneapolis paper from last month, where the conductor, played by JK Simmons, was described as a Bobby Knight type. It was worth seeing, for me at least, but not for everyone. Probably not for my dad, since he is not a Bob Knight fan at all. It held my interest, and this is one reason why I said it was a little exhausting as I have said it about watching hockey before. Since I am afraid of missing something as the action moves quickly. As a performer I understood the part about making sacrifices to be a performer. I do like Jason Reitman movies, and even though Reitman didn't direct it he is listed as an executive producer. Coupled with how I like to listen closely to the drummers in songs, I knew I would be seeing this movie soon after seeing some previews two nights ago. I wasn't caught by surprise when I saw what happened when the drummer was running late getting to a gig. I liked seeing Paul Reiser in it as I am reminded of a rap/comedy act called Valley Meadows where they have a dance called 'Do the Paul Reiser'. There are not many women in it, but since it is about how competitive music can be this didn't surprise me. 
   I watched the Bears-Vikings football game in the early afternoon, Bears won despite trailing 10-0 early on. After it was done I watched a Redbox movie I got from McDonald's just before the game began, it was 'Million ways to die in the west'. I used a code for a free day as it was expiring soon. There were a lot of jokes about the West in it, I saw it as this movie was promoted at the comedy club in May when it was about to be released to theaters. The references to 19th century historical figures like Abraham Lincoln and Stephen Foster did remind me of another Western, a silent movie called 'Covered Wagon', based on a book by Emerson Hough, my inspiration as a writer. In a scene where he met up with some Indians I was wondering how much of what he spoke was gibberish since I did hear what sounded like 'Mila Kunis', the name of an actress, when the subtitles said 'Fine'. Not a big fan of Seth Macfarlane, but I do like Charlize Theron as well as Sarah Silverman, the leading ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment