Saturday, October 22, 2016

bowling and pumpkins

it was a day filled with events to attend. the first was a bowling outing in northeast Minneapolis, at elsie's. I had been there before, and had plenty of photos from earlier visits, but I liked being there again. these photos included one of a wall of lockers, a reminder of my inspiration as a photographer, Vivian maier. it was a lackluster bowling outing though, two games- 81 and 95. I needed a strike on the final ball to reach the century mark. I was willing to eat cheese pizza upon arrival as it was all that I saw, but they eventually brought out some sausage pizza which I like more. I got some reese's peanut butter out of the vending machine as well.
   when I was finished I went to the library in Roseville, knowing I needed to get mapquest directions for my next destination. I knew full well how it would end: seeing a used book sale, I was going to see what they had. I got five books. one was about the 1990s, and I liked how there was mention of alternative music becoming popular. the index had two grunge frontmen listed- kurt cobain and eddie vedder. one was about the great depression, my favorite era of history to study. another was about Herbert hoover, the president that was born in iowa. there is one about English history, and more than just what I studied in college, which was roughly 1500-1800. the fifth one was about the Spanish-american war, knowing it would have something about the Philippines in it. and it does mention the war after it, where it was more costly than what America paid Spain for the Philippines.
   the next place was the pumpkin farm in ham lake. I think that was my first visit in two years, having skipped last year. the owner still recognizes me, which is odd. but I am ambivalent about the experience, even though I shouldn't be. I got a ride in his Polaris ranger around the farm, and ate a Charlie brown special for free. it was an A and W root beer, chips (I chose doritos) and a hot dog. I got in free to the place, even though it said it was $5 per car. I liked seeing the snoopy supper dish that had been at mall of America when the theme park was known as Camp Snoopy. this was why I made it back: I like the Charlie brown and snoopy statues there, four in all. I know what made me ambivalent though: he said he would like me to perform stand-up comedy there, even though I didn't see a stage or microphone. a free meal was offered, but he already gave me that. also since he said I didn't like the place on facebook, and said I was going to make it there this summer when I know full well I didn't say that at all. I try not to describe people as 'loopy' all the time, he may be better described as 'eccentric'. and I did like how one of the free activities was 'pumpkin bowling'. but I didn't buy a pumpkin there, even though I did get some apple cider and mini donuts.
   the final place I stopped at was fright farm in Maplewood. I like making it to this haunted house annually. much like before, it really is more for the teenagers as they are more likely to scream at what they see. I saw some who were scared going in, and I said 'you will be all right' and they didn't believe me. this may have been why I was asked to go first in our group. a few times I was caught off-guard, but much of it was me going through and saying 'hi' to people or things like 'looks like this thing'. I did do a facebook photo after it was done, and was asked what I thought about it. then it was home, where I meant to get to the grocery store but knew I was tired so I laid down for a while in my easy chair. and by the time I woke up I knew it was closed for the night.
   I like how the facebook posting about performing from the night before is getting plenty of likes, at this point I think it is up to 20. it got a response from mason city, who said he know about my 'obsession with lady gaga' in response to hearing about a snapchat with school bouncer about selena Gomez songs. I said it will be hard for selena to catch up to gaga in my book, as I have just one of her CDs and I have four of Gaga's and have seen Gaga in concert twice and haven't seen selena yet. even though in the snapchat I didn't speak of 'same old love', I spoke of another song of hers, 'love you like a love song', it was 'same old love' that sold me. it should have failed my 'artistic integrity' test, since there is a swear word in it, but that is why I like it. I have frustration about my failed relationships and this song captured that feeling better than others could. it does seem to explain better why I was sold on lady gaga as well, as 'bad romance' sold me. this music still works for me, as I continue to feel frustrated about relationships but no longer have expectations for them either. performing makes me happier, so I focus more energy on that. when I was having a breakfast sandwich at mcdonald's this morning I heard 'mandolin rain' by bruce Hornsby and the range, and was reminded why I pay so much attention to the music I hear. it is what helps me focus, more than anything else can. when I focus on the music, I am more disciplined and have less time to feel sad about most things.

No comments:

Post a Comment