Thursday, October 27, 2016

six word pitch

I went to the loft literary center in Minneapolis tonight after work, taking the light rail. I was attending a member event, and the theme was teen angst. attendees were invited to give a six word pitch about this subject, and I was one of those who wrote one down on a post-it. mine was chosen, so I got to share a 5-minute story about it. I found that it wasn't hard to think about what to say, since I have the experience from performing. it was about a prom rejection, and what happened after it. already shared it on facebook and it has more than 10 likes. this has happened before, where I show up and get stage time even though I wasn't a scheduled performer. this was how I met a comic in suburban Chicago, and how I got to be part of an improv show in new York city. I said it proves that this 'performing thing' is a part of who I am. and how I guess I am in it for the long term. 'the need to perform' is something that I didn't understand for a while, but now I do. I will also recall this event by the song I heard in a café part of the building as I was leaving, as I heard 'at last' by etta james playing. it reminds me of the movie 'rain man', a favorite, as it is in that movie.
   I know what I did after this stage time was typical for me. I thought about it a lot. I had the time to think about it when I was taking the light rail home. naturally I turned my attentions to music, like anna nalick's 'breathe'. we have already heard about that one before. for some reason I also thought of 'back on the chain gang' by the pretenders. I know this is on my list of songs I think I could do when performing karaoke. lines like 'circumstances beyond our control', and 'wretched life of a lonely heart'. it is a song with passion, and that is why it works for me. the longing in it, the 'ohhs' as well as 'found a picture of you'. it took a while to get home, as there was mention of a wreck on the track. but this also gave me more time to get on the train near the loft as well. but my attitude is 'I am on, let's go' instead of being thankful that I hadn't just missed it. and I thought I had. we stopped short of the transfer point, train was taken out of service. I grumbled about it but thankfully the wait for the next one wasn't long. odd how I found some nice dress shoes on the train, I took a picture of them and took them with me when I left the train, placing them next to a trash bin as I saw the size and knew they wouldn't fit. when I got home I took care of some things online that I had been delaying for a while. one of them was signing up for a shift this weekend at a haunted house.
   at the office I was a little annoyed at how I found out by accident about a meeting that I wasn't invited to, but should have been. so once I heard I attended it.

No comments:

Post a Comment