Friday, October 14, 2016

Football and Puppets

I am double-booked tonight. First I attended a high school football game in South St. Paul, and plans are to see a friend's puppet show as part of a comedy festival as the nightcap.
  I am pleased that it still worked in my schedule to see the football game tonight, as I like high school football. South St. Paul was playing Henry Sibley, of Mendota Heights if I am not mistaken. I wanted to get caught up on email and watched the news, so I waited a little after getting off the bus from work to depart for the stadium. I arrived late in the first quarter, and there was no score. Early in the second quarter there was a long quarterback keeper, for about 50 yards, for a touchdown, SSP up 7-0. A Sibley fumble led to SSP tacking on a field goal, and it was 10-0 at the half. There was some dancers and 'chuck footballs' as halftime entertainment. Sibley got on the board in the 3rd quarter, and went for 2 to make it 10-8. I checked my program and noticed how nobody was listed as a kicker, that seems to explain the going for two. For kickoffs it appears Sibley was using a tight end/defensive lineman. Another quarterback keeper led to the next SSP touchdown, this time for 70 yards, leading 17-8. A personal foul penalty against SSP aided a Sibley drive that made it 17-16. The third quarter ended with this score. Another personal foul penalty, this time a horse collar against Sibley, aided an SSP drive, making it 24-16. Sibley got a long 40-yard pass play, and later converted on fourth down, to make it 24-22. They went for two and were stopped short. There was 2:46 left when SSP got the ball, and it meant they still had to run some plays, but SSP won 24-22. A song I heard often enough at this game was 'She wants to dance like Uma Thurman' which I know is a reference to the movie 'Pulp Fiction'.
   Naturally this is more of a reason to sing the praises of high school football, as it is definitely affordable. The game ticket was six dollars, and my first food order was a hot dog, chips and bottled water for four dollars. At halftime I got a candy bar and popcorn for two-fifty. I parked for free at the school's lot nearby. So it was nice to have had a good time, for less than 20 dollars. The game tickets, as well as food and drink, are way more at a major college or professional sporting event.
   I did make it to the puppet show, it was a late-night edition. This friend was in town from Los Angeles, and I went to her wedding two years ago. We hugged before the show and she spoke of how performing is still going better than dating. The show started with two puppets in the back. I am good at recognizing voices and I definitely knew one of them. Many of their jokes were 'hack jokes' about subjects like cocaine, and ISIS. Also about the event coordinator. Then it moved on to a video of a puppet watching TV. First Mr. Trump was on, then it switched to other boring things. I don't think the MC has a nickname yet, but I have seen him perform before. Then my puppeteer friend was on with one of her colleagues from la-la land. Her friend's puppet likes the smart phone, I liked how it didn't take long to catch on to the 'gag' in this segment. Next act was a comic, on the screen behind her was something about meditating and emoji's. She did ones about Lean Cuisine, the Wisconsin state fair, childhood wardrobe, snack foods, ranch, and you should be a comedian. My friend was on next, with a puppet doing a 'vagina monologue'. This was one of my photos from the show. I did not know the next comic, but he made a lasting impression by playing the national anthem on a guitar. He said he had recently moved from Portland (probably meant Oregon, but there is also one in Maine) and did ones about taking supplements, and vision boards. The two opening puppets came back, and did more 'hack jokes'. Then there was a 'cat tube' video. Then my friend and her colleague did a segment with a Mr. Trump puppet. The final act was a comic that spoke of growing up in Nebraska, and spoke of Taco Tuesday. This led to the two opening puppets coming back, being replaced by the Trump puppet, after seeing one about the 'undecided voter' from a recent presidential debate.
   I am usually not writing my opinions in this forum, mostly I am just stating what I saw. But I will say I enjoyed this show. The jokes about Mr. Trump worked well, seemed like a much better forum for them than seeing them all the time in my Facebook news feed. I had seen her perform before with one of her puppets, this summer, at the same venue. I do recall saying to an office colleague that I never thought it was possible that I would know a puppeteer that performs at the famous Jim Henson studio, but now I do! And I liked getting a notable souvenir, it was a sock puppet with buttons on it for eyes. Now I must figure out how to get it into the binder with other comedy souvenirs- if this is the best place for it. There was a suggestion to perform with it on dates, but that was probably a joke. It is a weird collection of things, but will fit well with items like a whoopee cushion that I won at an 'encyclopedia show'. The sock puppet was an 'audience participation' thing and I was told before the show that it was a good idea to sit up front. Well I found out why.
    In other issues, I did see the event coordinator- who I think is often referred to as 'boss man' in this forum. We hadn't spoken much lately, he is often busy. When he said it was good to see me, I knew I had the best chance in a while to say how things were going. I did say how I hadn't been to the venue's open-mic in a while, as I wasn't getting picked and was upset about it. I had made that decision nearly a year ago, following the advice from school bouncer, who said it was best to take a break if I was upset about it. So I would like to think that I can get stage time there more often, though it is hard to say when as I have gotten used to doing other things on a Friday night. It is much harder for me to turn down stage time now, but I also say that I can't go to the clubs every night of the week as I don't want to get burned out from performing. In addition, I have other things going on in my life, other interests, that still mean something to me and had before I started performing. Nothing wrong with spending a night at home watching reruns and resting every so often. Sometimes that is now what I do on a Friday, wanting to de-compress after being at the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment