Saturday, October 1, 2016

quadrangle hall, u. of iowa

I started the day in muscatine, iowa, at my hotel. then I had continental breakfast and got on the road to iowa city for the football game. after the game I went to look at quadrangle residence hall, a building I lived in for 3 of the 4 semesters of my time living in the dorms. It was already a demolition site, but I still got some pictures of it, on the 'legal side' of the fence. I lived in slater, across the street, for one semester, then moved to quadrangle. I recalled an underground tunnel connecting it to rienow, and there being a public cafeteria in it as well. somebody once said I should work there, after hearing I was a dishwasher at the student union. but the student union wasn't that far away, and what is so wrong with walking or biking for some exercise? I also recall this dorm building being one of the 'transition scenes' for the TV show 'coach' in the 1990s. there was a banner up saying it is the 'future site of the pharmacy college'.
   at the football game, iowa lost to northwestern 38-31, after iowa led 21-17 at the half. though iowa trailed for most of the first half. northwestern was moving the ball better, picking up third downs more often, while Iowa's QB often got sacked on third down. it rained some during the game, but light rain, definitely not a downpour. I got on the hawkeye express, a train, back to my car about an hour after the final gun. I got started a little earlier, compared to last year, on my drive back to the twin cities, about two hours after the game ended. although there was some heavy traffic at first, getting onto I-380, then for a few miles after that. so I waited a little while until I started putting in CDs to listen to. before leaving town I did redeem two cans and a bottle, at a Hy-Vee grocery store, then got some fuel for the car as well as a candy bar and a can of dr. pepper for me. after this I made just two more stops, my typical ones at a casey's gas station in cedar falls, and then clear lake. I liked getting a slice of pizza at both, as well as some Coca-Cola to drink.
   as usual, I liked how it didn't take long to unpack when I got home. I travel light, so most of what I bring can fit in a duffel bag. then dirty clothes go in the basket, and souvenirs in one plastic bag. and a trash bag was quickly emptied as well, cans and bottles in the sink to be washed and the rest in the trash. there was some coins as well, 30 cents, that went in the change bank, half of which was pennies. it was nice that I made fewer stops compared to the drive down to iowa city. I also noticed how I tend to be a recluse while home, but on the road as well. not complaining though, it is what I prefer! I found it easier to get some writing done about my traveling while alone in my hotel room.
   I liked how I was up early this morning. I set the alarm on my phone for 8am, and I woke up 2 minutes before it went off. then it was time to have continental breakfast, I had some cereal as well as a 'make your own waffle'. then I was on the road at 9am, allowing for the drive time, about 40 miles, from Muscatine to iowa city. tried parking at hancher auditorium, but the traffic wasn't moving after I exited I-80 at Dubuque street. so I did a U-turn and continued on to the Coralville mall exit so I could take the train to the game. it meant I was in my seat before the game started at 11am, in fact I arrived just before the national anthem. I am fine with these early starts, as I can get home earlier as well. I made it back to my home in the twin cities at 10:30 pm, and my plan was to make it back before midnight so I liked being early. then I didn't need another night in a hotel room, already had two this weekend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment