Friday, October 7, 2016

we are young, fun. and janelle monae

recently I was watching a video and heard a song in the background. I recognized it as 'we are young' by fun., and Janelle monae. the video takes places at a bar where the band is performing. and for some reason a text message is being sent, and eventually this phone starts a fight. I do like the angst in this song, and this appears to be where one first hears 'tonight, we are young'. I always thought that it was funny to see this band's name: 'fun, period'. other lyrics I liked in it are early on, 'getting higher than the empire state' and 'seat taken by some sunglasses'.
   I had the day off so I could go to new ulm for Oktoberfest. but it started off weird, dealing with the smoke alarm going off while showering. at first I pulled an Alfred e. neuman (what, me worry?) and waited a little before I decided to step out and investigate. the shower probably tripped the alarm, as the door wasn't shut all the way. I tried to wave away the steam but the alarm still chirped for a little while longer. but I didn't have that much left to do by then in the bathroom.
   I made the most of my time in new ulm, and outside of it as well. I love the lunch buffet at the godfather's pizza in st. peter, so I stopped there on the way to the festival. I arrived around 2pm and looked around at some stores, after going to the chamber of commerce first. I liked getting a button at the chamber about shopping in new ulm. and I did find some treasure at the second-hand stores. I found four books for a dollar, including one about Olympic athlete bruce jenner. another was about the TV show 'mork and mindy', a third was about the movie 'American graffiti', and the fourth was about various TV shows, published in 1971. I saw one photo in it, of musicians glen Campbell and johnny cash. it was nice to find a charlie brown and snoopy tin as well, it says 'happy holidays' and once held shortbread cookies.
    I made it to the final glockenspiel performance of the day at 5pm, and after that I went to sleepy eye to see the linus statue. it is across the street from the hardee's, so I got a chocolate shake at the hardee's. then it was back to new ulm. I made my customary visit to the fountain inside german park, and there was more activity than typical. I heard some music from the area, it was 'living on a prayer' by bon jovi. guess there was a high school football game at the nearby venue. then it was on to turner hall where I had a drink, schell's beer of course. when I see their rathskeller sign I am reminded of what dad would say to me when I was young: 'you can find me in the rathskeller'. I had hoped to make it to the hotel for the evening festivities in time for the keg tapping, but it was not to be. I still did eat at this hotel, now a best western, it was a holiday inn. I had a landjaeger on a bun, with sauerkraut, german potato salad, german chocolate cake, and some 1919 root beer. looks like there was a slight change in venue as the poolside stage wasn't being used, there was an outside tent instead. I left shortly after I was done eating, and headed back to the twin cities. as usual I brought some CDs to make the drive easier for me. my playlist: REM, toad the west sprocket, cowboy junkies, and billy joel.
    I liked how the drive home was fairly uneventful, didn't need to stop anywhere along the way. I made an early stop to get a look at a historical marker, making a mental note about it on the way into town. it was at a Lutheran church and school, and had an American revolution bicentennial logo on the marker. this was in courtland township if I am not mistaken. I stopped to look at another marker in this town on a previous visit. I think this is the town that went with a joke name for a drinking establishment: calling it a 'crow bar'.

No comments:

Post a Comment