Saturday, November 19, 2016

beyond the soundtrack

at midday I picked up a book at an nearby book shop, it was called 'beyond the soundtrack', representing music in cinema. sometimes I do buy movie soundtracks. it states in the book that it is essays about movie soundtracks. plenty of movies are listed, the book was published in 2007. some I hadn't heard of, foreign language films, older movies from the silent era, or both. I noticed that two of them are starring bill murray, 'scrooged', and 'groundhog day'. I know I will like having it. I picked up some postcards as well. one was candyland with the two Charlie brown and snoopy statues outside. then there was the mickey's dining car, and a light rail train.
   we had the first snow of the season, but for a while it was just wet. no big deal getting around. I still made it to a burlesque show in the evening. I had to skip last month's show as I had the guest set at the comedy club. as usual, I liked most of what I saw. my favorite had to be the one where the dancer chose 'SOB' by the night sweats as her musical number. she held up signs that said 'divorce' and then 'self-loathing'. then it ended with her giving the finger. I think many can find it relatable, I know the part about self-loathing I could relate to. also notable was a belly dancer. I liked seeing those who did TV show theme songs, more than one act did this. one did 'the jeffersons' and 'Laverne and shirley', among others. the other did 'WKRP'. also liked seeing one dancer dressed up as the statue of liberty. I know the act was announced as being about the recent election, as she held up a headline about it and later held up a sign that said 'I quit'.
     I did get some things done after work and before I went to the burlesque show. it meant going to the Chicago hot dog place for my evening meal. (for lunch there was the leftover thanksgiving food in the main breakroom again) then it was on to a used CD shop, where I got a Sara Bareilles CD, called 'blessed unrest'. I got it as 'brave' is on it. I mentioned the song in a recent facebook posting, where I said I reached an understanding of needing to talk first if I want others to talk to me. and how it seems wrong that I still claim to be afraid of some things.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment