Saturday, November 26, 2016

loving movie

tonight I went to see the movie called 'loving' at the Edina theater. I liked reading about it in the paper, so I told myself to do my best to see it soon. it is based on the true story of what became a landmark supreme court case about interracial marriage, known as 'loving v. virginia'. it did show many of the things that the couple was up against to be given their rights. it let me feeling proud to be an ACLU member as they helped with the case. since I am a performance artist of course I believe in free speech. there were some things in this movie that I noticed, probably more than others did. when I saw dinner plates being washed, I said the pattern on them reminded me of some that I own. and when I saw a wringer washing machine in the background, I wondered if it was a maytag. eventually I noticed that it was. and it covered how the families felt about it, something that still needed to be told as part of this story. much like what I said about other movies 'based on a true story', it serves as a reminder of how being 'first' isn't easy, much like being famous isn't easy. I am thankful I saw it, and when I posted this on twitter and searched the 'hash tag' for that theater I saw two other postings from me. I do like going there for 'art films'.
    I had wanted to see this movie in the afternoon, but when I got there the parking ramp was full. so I was correct to decide 'don't bother' at the time and just come back later in the evening. the ramp was nearly deserted by then. I knew one of the oakdale theaters was showing it, but after driving over from Edina I noticed I would have a long wait to see the next screening. so I just went home and decided to take some time to figure out my strategy. and it was aided by an evening event being a no-go, seeing a play in downtown st. paul. the nearby ATM wouldn't cooperate, so I only had a debit card available. so I decided to get a ticket for a performance that is in two weeks. I was getting annoyed with one ticket office employee, I was asking fair questions but she couldn't hide being stressed out. some people don't belong in customer service. I know this from working in that field for a while.
   I returned one movie to the library earlier today, and checked out two more. one of them I already watched, after getting back from oakdale. it was 'marty', starring ernest borgnine, a best picture winner from the 1950s. I knew that it was much like a later movie I had seen, called 'only the lonely'. I remember thinking 'some people have a lot of nerve' when they get to a scene where a man is trying to pay five dollars to anyone who is willing to take his date off his hands. my guess is this did happen at that time, and possibly still does. it's also a reminder of how important it is to fight for what you believe in, what you really want in life. his family and friends say he should settle down and get married, and when he finds somebody he likes they don't like her. I know I have to be willing to fight for what I really want, so I think this is why I liked both of these movies as they are relevant to me. or should I say three? including 'loving', as that was also about fighting for what you believe in.
   when I was driving home from the movie tonight I heard a song called 'purple hills' or 'purple pills', by a group called D12, which includes Eminem. it is from 2001, according to Wikipedia, and this also explains the two titles. some mention of the references to drug use made one version wouldn't get radio play, so they had to have an alternate one, called 'purple hills'. I found out it was 'hills' that I heard on the radio. the lyrics I found online proved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment