Friday, November 25, 2016

on the waterfront movie

I watched the DVD copy of 'on the waterfront' that was on loan from the library this morning. this was a compelling story. I knew it was a best picture winner in the 1950s. the 'facility czar' at my workplace, an ex-new Yorker, said I should see it after saying he liked my hat recently. I liked karl malden as the catholic priest, trying to clean up the corruption at the docks. and of course marlon brando was great in it as well, as a 'monkey boy' for the mob. I liked hearing brando's line 'I could have been a contender' in it. this is one thing I long knew about the movie. I also liked seeing some of the special features included. there was theatrical trailers for this one and two other movies. one was starring lizzie taylor and kate Hepburn, based on a Tennessee Williams play. the other was called 'picnic', with a setting in a Kansas town.
   this was one of two movies I watched today. I did the annual viewing of 'planes trains and automobiles' as well. I did this after getting back from the walk at como zoo. I even saw a fellow comic, happy meal, share an article on facebook about it so I also shared the link. my favorite scene I think still is when they are near the end of the journey and they ride in the back of a semi with the cheese. 'the driver is a little freaky about passengers riding up in the cab'. and then 'we should be in Chicago in less than three hours'. naturally a few things make it look a little dated, but it was made in 1987 after all. for one thing, two airlines in it are now defunct. trans world airlines is seen in st. louis, and an ad at the el-train stop in Chicago says 'the sun run' for America west airlines. but this movie holds up well, as I like road movies.
   after I finished watching 'on the waterfront' I made it over to a buca di beppo restaurant as I had a reservation there. good food as they had the thanksgiving dinner available. even though it was called 'individual' there was enough for two servings for me. so it meant I had the leftovers for my evening meal. and actually, I got full before finishing them. so there is a little stuffing and turkey left. then it was over to como zoo for a meetup event. I was trying to think of the last time I had been there, I kow that my employer has had some summer outings there. the place closed at 4pm so we had a little over an hour to look around as we waited to see if more people showed up. I was one of six people there, it sounded like some others canceled out.
    in the evening I watched two 'big bang theory' episodes. the syndicated rerun was when stuart was hired to do dirty work, and it meant Sheldon and amy were talking through him. Sheldon made a big deal about somebody cutting in line at a movie. prime time episode was about leonard and penny having another wedding ceremony so their families could witness it. I liked one line in it, how penny said she was quickly reminded of why she eloped before. since the families brought a lot of drama to the event. then it was off to do my typical long walk around the neighborhood. not as much fun to pick up trash when it was wet, looked like it was snowing but it wasn't sticking to the pavement. I walked away with plenty of coins though. some of it was at the car wash, but also at a drive-through window at a food outlet. since it was thanksgiving it was easier access to the window. the final total was 93 cents. a quarter, 5 dimes, 2 nickels, 8 pennies. I didn't watch much of the football games today, three in all. but I know the Vikings lost to the lions in the lead-off game.

No comments:

Post a Comment