Friday, November 4, 2016

gimme danger movie

tonight I went to see the documentary 'gimme danger', about a band called the stooges, iggy pop's band. I knew mason city would be pleased that I went to it since he had spoken of iggy in his postings that I call 'music education'. as usual, I learned something. since it was about his band and not his solo career, as I only knew his solo songs like 'lust for life' and 'passenger'. I paid attention to what was in the background of many of the interviews, since it was laundry equipment. I saw enough of the badge to see it was Kenmore, the sears brand. the Minneapolis paper said most of the members of the band died before the film was completed. they go back to the 1960s and mention many of the bands they had performed with, which backs up what they said early on in terms of the band being influential. mention is made to how the band got its name, and it is a reference to the comedy act known as the 3 stooges. it serves as a nice reminder of how much musical talent has started in Michigan, since the band originated there. I was familiar with bob seger and alice cooper being other Michigan musicians.
   I saw this movie at the lagoon in Minneapolis, well known for its art films. as I was walking back to my car I am approached by someone who wanted directions to a bowling alley, which was a few blocks away. I am caught off guard when I am asked if I wanted any of the drugs he claims he had, but I turned him down. I quickly realized that when he said 'coke and molly' he wasn't talking about the soft drink. I had heard how it can get weird in that neighborhood, well I finally witnessed it.
    the night started with a visit to the Chicago hot dog place, followed by getting 2 CDs at cheapo records. one was by Sia, the other a simpsons CD that includes 'do the bartman'. I started looking at winter coats at target as well. but I want to shop around some more so I didn't get a coat tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment