Saturday, December 24, 2016

double indemnity movie

tonight it worked better on seeing a movie on DVD, since I fell asleep for a while before trying to watch it. instead of during. it was 'double indemnity'. I was inspired to watch it after seeing a video on youtube that had clips of the movie, and the background music was 'sorry somehow' by husker du. I had worked in life insurance before, so much of the terminology was familiar to me. the story was about adultery and insurance fraud. fred macmurray played an insurance agent and he thought he could help the Barbara stanwyk character kill her husband for the insurance money. Edward g. robinson played macmurray's boss. robinson spoke of having a hunch that was always right about when claims were fraudulent. the story was told in flashback, where the insurance agent is dictating what happened into a recorder. it served as the narration. I did watch the special features as well, though one segment was rather long about the movie. it spoke of how it led to many 'copycat' film noir movies. I did like scenes where he is at a bowling alley, and at a grocery store (or market).
   it was a fairly busy day for me, since it is a holiday weekend. in the afternoon I went to alary's bar in downtown st. paul to watch the bears football game against the Washington redskins. Chicago lost big, 41-21, intercepted something like 5 times. I left with about a minute left as I wanted to get to the grocery store before it closed early for the day, at 4pm. I said 'leaving this interview' when somebody wanted to argue with me on the way into the store about something trivial and petty. I got the line from a nicki minaj song. in the evening after the movie was done I tried to order takeout, to be picked up tomorrow around midday, from buca di beppo but it was not to be. don't know if the site was accepting online orders at that time. so on the way to Christmas eve church services I stopped at a super-America and got a can of steel reserve beer and a can of spaghetti. these two items will serve as my dinner for the day.  the church service reminded me of how I am a big Charlie brown fan. one of the scriptures, from luke, is what linus reads from in the TV special. and the final song, 'hark the herald angels sing', is also at the end of the TV special. though the organist played it and I didn't get to hear the choir sing it.
   most notable thing about the day likely was having waffles with a friend from the comedy circuit at the original pancake house in Roseville. I hadn't seen her at the clubs for a while. but I had seen her facebook postings fairly often about her 'cubs', her two kids. I liked doing an event with somebody away from the clubs, as this doesn't happen very often. she did post a photo on facebook of us being there, she was wearing a santa hat. first time at this establishment, it was fine. hadn't heard of them before. but it looks like there are plenty of locations. they were closing early for the holiday, we arrived just after 10:30am and they closed at 12noon.

No comments:

Post a Comment